AMD to Drop 'Athlon' Brand

Discussion in 'News and Article Comments' started by Big B, May 4, 2007.

1. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Apparently the green team is dropping the recognized Athlon name when they launch the K10 series later this year. It's name? Phenom, so says DailyTech:

Over the next two weeks AMD will slowly begin to introduce its new brand name for high end desktop CPUs. The brand, Phenom, will succeed Athlon on all K10 offerings. Dual-core Agena processors will be labeled as Phenom X2; quad-core Agena as Phenom X4. The halo products, Agena FX and its family, will receive the brand name Phenom FX.

Phenom is pronounced as an abbreviated version of the word "phenomenal." AMD's guidance states that the company will promote its Phenom X4 and X2 processors under the premise that Phenom allows its users to "experience the Phenomenal."

2. zeus

zeus out of date

In synch with the end of the Pentiums nearly.... AMD Phenom, its certainly a mouth full for me!

3. DaRuSsIaMaN

DaRuSsIaMaN Geek Comrade

Hmm, this "phenom" scheme sounds slightly corny to me

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

You don't remember all the Transformers jokes going around when AMD was coming up with the candidate names for Opteron...

5. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

HAHA, chyea, thats pretty sweet, i guess it could be possible to pronounce it "fee" "nom" lol, ether way, i'm a fan, thats sweet, pretty tech sweet to. Reminds me of something like sneaker network, (putting something on removable media for transfer between computer) or a bug (when there was a bug in a vacuum tube) So yeah, thats tech geek sweetness, phenomenal, sweet.

6. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

I hope AMD's CPU's are able to beat C2D and are cheaper, might change my mind in choosing Intel :)

7. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

As long as AMD and Intel are trying to beat each other, it's good for us. While I've been using AMD mostly for the past 6-7 years, I still usually end up with one foot in the Intel camp. It helps me when I discuss the sides because I actually know what I'm talking about if I've used the product. My second box uses a basic P965 board, so I can drop a Core 2 in there quite easily. Additionally, it gives me PCIe, which I want anyway just because AGP is pretty much a dead end.

I've used a lot of brands over the years and as far as CPU's are concerned AMD and Intel have solid product and trade blows for king of the hill. AMD was handing to Intel until Core 2 hit. People are crapping their pants over Intel having a better CPU. So what? If AMD was going to shrivel up, they'd have done it quite awhile back. With the purchase of ATi, they have chipsets and video cards that will expand their product porfolio. AMD has a lot going for it now, and just because they don't have the fastest CPU right now doesn't mean the company will go bankrupt. I think Intel spent about 3 years developing Conroe...sure took them awhile, but they came out swinging. That's business. AMD isn't Intel, but with their acquisition of ATi, they're much more likely to be another Intel than turn out like VIA and be in a more niche market. Intel didn't just pull Conroe out of mid air here. They developed it. AMD is doing the same thing. They're taking some hits right now, but they have financial resources to hold them up while in the midst of R&D. AMD may be under right now, but that's not enough to take them out of the game.

8. zeus

zeus out of date

Im glad you mentioned VIA because after reading Willz post I immediately thought "I hope someone like Cyrix comes along again" They were the real budget processors, AMD is only going to get more expensive.

9. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

AMD going to get more expensive? If they want to compete with C2D there going to be quite cheap.

10. zeus

zeus out of date

no, just cheaper. Cyrix were practically copies... like Chinese stuff nowadays.