AMD vs. Intel

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by Vauhs, May 10, 2005.

1. Vauhs

Vauhs Geek Trainee

I know this is probably discussed somewhere in the forums but couldn't find it in the search tool.

Anyhow, down to the subject. This has been going on for sometime about which is better. Some say Intel, others say AMD. So, I would like to know what are some of the good and bad factors about the AMDs and the Intels.

I've heard many things about AMDs good and bad, same with Intel, but would like to get a list of some sort about the pros and cons.

I also would like to say thanks ahead of time for taking the time to type something down. :p

2. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

amd. I'm not biased becaus I own an amd system nor are anyone here. I can say atleast 9 out of 10 say AMD is better. We are not biased, we just like what performs the best.

3. bobbyk

bobbyk Big Geek

It all boils down to your needs dude. In gaming apps, from my experience with the same video cards, AMD seems better, and are really nice to overclock. The only thing I can really say that AMD lags behind Intel with is the heat factor. The AMD Chips run hotter than Intel chips clock for clock. And look at the price difference too. :)

4. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Right on dude, yeah AMD has been the gamers chip of choice for awhile now, they're usually cheaper for what you get and they are much more efficient clock for clock. They're fsb is integrated into the actual chip further increasing the efficiency.

5. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Actually, AMD has gotten some fairly cool running CPU's with the Athlon 64's, especially with the Winchester and Venice cores. Yes, the Socket A chips, particularly the Thunderbird and Palimino cores, did run a bit on the warm side, but AMD did remedy that. Intel took up the hot crown with the less than impressive Prescott core.

However, as already mentioned, what you have in mind for the system is going to make a difference. Excluding the impending dual-cores, if you need some multitasking and don't want/need the full benefits of a dual processor system, a Pentium 4 with HyperThreading is probably what you're going to look at. If you're strictly building this for a gaming rig, you'd be much better off looking at an Athlon 64 (forget the FX's---they're too pricey for the miniscule performance lead they hold over the A64's).

6. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

AMD! AMD! AMD! and since addis cant get on his pc he would say AMD!!!!!!

7. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

Heat factor?

hehe you've never run a prescott have you?

My misfortune, to go against B's advice, and get a prescott resulted in temps exceeding 60 degrees C, which is way to damn hot.

My new A64 3000+ @ 2.2Ghz never reaches 40 under load.

I gotta say I'm gonna be buying a lot more AMD related material unless Intel pull their socks up. (Or removes a finger from an orifice, which ever suits you more).

Go with the athlon 64. Socket 939.

Sorted.

8. Vauhs

Vauhs Geek Trainee

I have another question for the AMDs..

Couple weeks back I was basically doing the samething as I am now, asking which is better intil something came up. But as I was going around town just basically seeing prices vs. internet, what they think on hardware and such. I came upon a techy that said, "If your CPU fan went out and you had a AMD cpu it would fry wiithout having time to shut it down to fix it, but for a Intel you could."

I'm not saying that is right, I was kind of skepical about what he said. But was curious if it was true or false.

9. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

Nope, it would automatically cut out, and shut down.

Well, so I've read anyway.

10. Vauhs

Vauhs Geek Trainee

My plans for the computer is basically gaming and a workstation through college.
    Programs involing game design.

"Sigh, going to college to study for game design but still a rookie at hardware." :p

11. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Maybe this is half-way proving the guys point but when my heatsink/fan fell of my CPU (didn't seat it properly, doh!) nothing happened. This may be a testimant to how cool AMD's Winchester line runs but nothing happened to it, the heatsink fell off and about 4 seconds later I pulled the plug, reseated the heatsink, booted her up and all was well. Go AMD, shame on me.

12. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

even the newest of our regular members here (exfoliate) I would whole-heartedly trust with my pc over any paid and certified "tech" they just don't know much.

If you have a cheap 'ol crap motherboard and you were playing games, completely hoarding your CPU cycles and fully working it then, i'm pretty sure it would fry. On the other hand if you had a good motherboard you can set parameters for alarming when CPU fan dies, or can turn off your computer once hitting a certain temperature.

Intel p4's have something like CPU throttling that lowers clock or even stops all processing if temperatures get too high. So I hear. Someone clear it up?

13. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Yeah, that's true. It's been in the Pentiums since at least the Northwood core. The PIII's didn't have the technology, but you'd suffer instability and crashes long before you'd fry the CPU.

ninja fetus likes this.
  14. stinkfing3r

stinkfing3r Big Geek

i prefer amd over intel.

15. bobbyk

bobbyk Big Geek

Vauhs, take a look at the specs that go with Big B's signature. Either one of those will do the job for you, but if you have the money, go for the latest video cards. I hear ATI has some great offerings already. They should be more than enough to handle your gaming requirements, as well as CAD. As a side note, I read some time ago that the sweet spot for Office work (Word Processing, Spreadsheets) was reached at 700 MHz. The input from a human was at par with the system's response at that speed, and I would agree with that. The thing is, if your into the latest games, all bets are off.. ;)

16. Vauhs

Vauhs Geek Trainee

I was planning on getting one of the higher end video cards anyway, either a 6800 ultra or the newest ATi card. I havn't looked at any of the new cards latly, but what's the SLi version of the 6800 ultra? just a faster version?

17. Dave35k

Dave35k H4ck3r

AMD all the way m8 Dave!!!!

18. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG HWF Guitar Freak

why even start a thread like this????????

im sorry p4 fans, but AMD jus kills it

19. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

If you want a SLI-able uber card from nVidia just save yourself a couple hundred and get 2 6800GT's, much better value and the performance will be highly similar even w/o overclocking. I would personally reccommend waiting till this summer when both ATI and nVidia launch their revamped cards, you'd proabably kick yourself if you bought to Ultras only to find out that they just dropped a hundred buck and there's now something way better for less. :x: Also stay tuned with ATI's version of SLI, should be out soon. :)
    Well we're getting a good ways off topic but hope this helps.