Android to take Linux mainstream

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by DaRuSsIaMaN, Mar 3, 2009.

1. DaRuSsIaMaN

DaRuSsIaMaN Geek Comrade

2. donkey42

donkey42 plank

i don't want Linux to go mainstream, i kinda like being an almost unique OS user, but it is inevitable because Linux just works like Windows 7 will (can't believe i said that)

3. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Well, Linux is already on a majority of servers in the world, not to mention netbooks, workstations, etc. Plus even Microsoft is admitting that Linux is its single largest threat, with a bigger market share on the desktop than Mac OS. That's pretty mainstream.

As for Windows 7 "Just working"... well, it's already shaping up to be a DRM-infested nightmare. Have fun with that. ;)

4. donkey42

donkey42 plank

well, i'll just have to live with it
    should have expected that, BTW: being using Vista for just uver a month with no major problems, & concidering it's an earley alpha of Win7,Win7 should be ok obviously when they've ironed all the creaces out[ot]you have to give me that, pwease pwease pwease[/ot]

fun fun, just discovered about creating local mirrors of remote sites for browsing offline (using what i thought was crappy) WGET with -m & -mk options

looks like i've some more learning to do :doh:

thanks, i think[ot]tw4t[/ot]why would you want or need to create a local mirror of a remote site ?

faster browsing is the only reason i can see

Edit: cheers AT, got it, was thinking too small

5. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

OMG :eek:

* Retracts all statements about Windows 7 being better than Vista, and sticks head in the sand *

6. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

No kidding?? huh