Another suggestion...

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by Egaladeist, Nov 5, 2004.

1. Egaladeist

Egaladeist I am the Eg Man

For those of us who know very little about computers and come to this site because it's a help forum for both the computer literate and, as in my case,the illiterate...how about a section like a forum dictionary that explains what you guys are talking about..." folding " "overcooking " etc...it might persuade some of the less talented who come in as guests to register if they're less intimidated by all the over-our-heads-talk if there was a dictionary in here explaining the terminology :good: I'm sure you guys are losing some potential members because they're just too intimidated to join..thinking you guys are way over their heads :) Me..I don't care...but most people don't want to be the stupid person on the block...they want to talk to someone on their own level...and I think a dictionary would help :good:

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Well, we do have an FAQ in the Folding forum that has info or links to it. I'm seeing what kinda questions are being asked, and will be looking into that for some future articles on the Zone365 website.

I'm trying to say stuff without coming off as a jerk, but it may come off that way. I think if someone doesn't know, they can search around and/or ask, because, quite honestly, coming up with a list of definitions and keeping it maintained is a bit of work. I'd rather write articles covering 1 or 2 topics indepth and in layman's terms as best possible instead of a book with lots of things crammed in there. I also want to make sure that what I put out is absolutely correct. I've been nailed on some incorrect info once before, and I'm very cautious to make sure it doesn't happen again.

There's a ton of stuff I have going on in my head. Putting it into an a cohesive article that gives thorough coverage is the hard part. However, seeing what forum members are having trouble with and creating an article on that subject to address the issues.

It's not that I wouldn't put it up on the forums, but as we do have a hardware website, and my own personal desire to have regular content, you'll more than likely see articles like guides, not to mention reviews, on the website.

The thing is that, we do have "Stickies" around the forums, but, people don't always read these.

Basically, I like the idea, but I'm not sure having a huge dictionary/encyclopedia is the best way to address this. I do have something of a remedy, but I want to have it as clear as possible. There's so many directions I can go, but that's just me. There's tons of stuff we want to do...and addressing the newbie questions as best possible is one of my personal ones.

3. Egaladeist

so far...I haven't read anything in here...by anyone...that comes across jerkish...so I don't think you have anything to worry about there :good: ...I can only say that...as an illiterate newbie myself...there are some forums in here I don't even bother with because I don't know what you guys are talking about...but I'd like to learn :good:

but other people who come here could...if they were to enter a forum way beyond them...simply assume it's all over their head and move on...I'm not saying it should be extensive...and it may be a bad suggestion...and you can say so...you're not going to hurt my feelings if I suggest something that sucks...and you tell me so...so don't try to be nice...I can handle criticism :p...but what if you were to list like 6 or 7 definitions " check here before entering " that would explain words like "folding " at the top of the more complicated or confusing sites?... :)

again..I don't know how long it takes to do something like that...how complicated it would be...etc...or even if you think it may be necessary...I don't know your time, financial ( if there's a cost involved ), or space restraints...if I suggest something that sucks..just say so...you don't need to be diplomatic with me :good: :p

and I do read the stickies...for the forums I attend :D

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

The problems we face at this forum are pretty universal, and as much as I'd love to somehow make everyone read the info, it's not happening.

I do know that some sites like Anandtech and Hexus have some sort of PC terminology database that's tied in with their reviews and articles. I'm not sure what, if any, cost there is and if it can be integrated in with our forum software, or any forum software. The last thing to consider is if they'd really give the definition people want as far as an explanation. Basically, there is something out there, but at this point, that's all I know. I can say that this idea hasn't really been brought to the table at all, so we really don't have much info at this point in time.

5. shade46

shade46 Geek Trainee

Being the absolute newest newbie here let me tell you why I came to this site. I have been posting on another site with questions regarding my 1st build. I get some replies, and some help, but generally I feel that they don't want to spend time with why my OS won't load. They would rather talk about AMD dual processor 64. When I got an answer, it was short and assumed I knew a lot more than I do. I have looked for a while and you seem to be speaking more on my level. I have a connection to Webopedia on my desktop where I go to get information, but that sometimes appears that I don't ask the correct question. I am going to just look around the site today and then post my problems tonight when I get home from work. I hope I get them in the right forum. How about one just for newbies and 1st builds?

6. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Because there's a fair amount of people that are n00bs, having a n00b forum on this site would be rather redundant. I hesitate to add a system builders forum just yet as that could add confusion of where to post it. Diversity is good, but I've seen forums that have too much diversity, which sometimes leads to people who are already at their wits end just having that as one last straw. I've been toying with the system builders forum idea, but at this point I feel that it's really covered between CPU, Motherboards, and Memory and General Hardware forums. It may happen in the future, it may not.

7. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

Thanks for the good feedback again guys! Big B has already replied and I would have to agree.

Having a newbie’s forum would create more confusion as to where should the user make thread? How would you class a newbie?

I like the dictionary idea! Big B has created a sticky here http://www.hardwareforums.com/showthread.php?t=2700 something like this you mean?

How about the user having the option to have dictionary mode? Which would mean words like AMD, CPU, etc would be underlined and when going over them would display what they mean! I will look into it!

I do have a guest message for non-registered members, maybe I should explain in there why they should join our forums! Give me suggestions as to what I should write!

I have posted on other forums, very simple questions and I don't even get a reply, so our aim here is to answer all threads even if we can't help or at least try and help. I want people to feel free to ask any question they want...

Thanks again for the suggestions

8. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

How about:

Guests - Join our forums! If you are the lucky member of the day, win a free car!

Please join and invite your friends! We aim to reach 10,000 members - if we reach this goal we will donate XXXXX amount to a chosen charity. (ie Waffles)

9. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Lol. Sure, I've got GM ready to donate a whole fleet to us...:rolleyes:

10. Egaladeist

exactly right..Sniper :good: ...in fact it was visiting that site that gave me the idea about a dictionary...something short and simple...exactly like that...including some humourous definitions like you have there:good:

11. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

If you like i will put together a nice database, that's easy on the eyes, easy to understand and isn't patronising to those reading.

Or we could have a seperate forum, for definitions, which i could moderate if you wish..

Or i can do it as a seperate webpage, but the definitions will be added as they come / and are specifically for hardwareforums, ie the words contained apply to those that are required / used on the forums..

12. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

ProcalX, if you want make a post of all the definitions and post them on the forums, I will make a sticky, I will also try to implement the system like I the one I talked about above (thats once I get the time to do so!).

For a separate forum, I don't see the need for it really :)

13. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

We could also add a link to it in the rules.