Antec Neo 500?

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by rimmer, Sep 11, 2006.

1. rimmer

rimmer Geek

Insufficient Power?

is it worth me thinkin about a antec neo 500watt, it has 3 12V RAILS and is heavy i think and costs £70

2. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

Yes, it's a brill PSU :good:

3. izzy007

izzy007 Big Geek

Insufficient Power?

ive gots an antec neo he 500. it is really quiet annd it proppa stable. get it as there arent that many psus that have 51amps and 38amps combined 12v rails with 456watt and a 500watt model. it cud easily be rated at 600watts but the 3.3 and 5v rails let it down a bit. not to worry becoz future hardware only mostly takes advantage of 12v rails.

4. rimmer

rimmer Geek

and what do the 3.3 and 5 rails do? control older hardware likme floppy drives? all i want is a PSu that will run my PC which will have 4 optical drives and 4-6 hard drives, and the rest is in my sig, thanks

5. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

IDE drives run on the 5V, but SATA drives run off the 12V. I'm not sure if this applies to SATA optical drives or not.

RAM still runs of the 3.3V, and I believe the PCI slots do as well. Early PCI revisions called for 5V, but you'd have to go back to at least 2000 if not earlier to find that. Most things are moving toward 12V.