Antec Phantom 350W Fanless PSU question

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by efx2003, Feb 21, 2005.

1. efx2003

efx2003 Big Geek

I have a p160 Antec case with one 120mm fan in front and one 120mm in the back. Does anybody know if this case with be a good enough case to put this type of power supply in. And can somebody give me their opinion on this power supply. Please help if you can.

Thank You

2. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

Yeah you can put that power supply in it, but it will most likely not power your gear if you have recent stuff.

3. efx2003

efx2003 Big Geek

If that is the case, then I will go with the Antec 480w neopower power supply. Do you know if that is a pretty silent power supply.

4. ninja fetus

5. efx2003

efx2003 Big Geek

That seems like a good power supply. If I do not use the fan controller does the power supply have a temp controller built in. So it can control the speed of the fans its self.

6. ninja fetus

I don't know, but if you don't use the controllers I'm sure they just spin at full. Which won't be loud at all

7. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Unless you're an absolute freak about having no noise whatsoever, it's really hard to justify spending over $150 for a 350W PSU. I mean, Antec isn't really what I'd call crappy, but that Phantom is awfully pricey. If you're gonna spend that much cash on a power supply, save another $50 or so and get a PC Power & Cooling 510...but those tend to be a little on the loud side. I think ProcalX mentioned Seasonic power supplies also being pretty quite.

8. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

First off for a reasonably new system even an Antec 350W psu would be pushing it, especially if you're buying a silent PSU, Silent PSU + New System = Overheat & Bad Voltage Rails.

Second of all... *clears throat*

for silent powersupplies (or near to silent) get a powersupply from one of these ranges:
    *SHOUTS*:
    ThermalTake Silent PurePower with fan controller
    or an
    Enermax NoiseTaker PSU

(Get 420W to 480W from either of these)

I have a 480W ThermalTake Silent PurePower and its awesome. cost me nothing as well it costs like £55-£60 :O ($40-$70 in US)

9. efx2003

efx2003 Big Geek

Thanks for advice. I will try the thermaltake power supply.

10. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I believe the 420W PurePower runs $45 with standard shipping @ Newegg, and that's a pretty good price for the rails you get on that thing.