antec truecontrol 550watt or hiperr type r

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by izzy007, Jun 24, 2006.

1. izzy007

izzy007 Big Geek

i bought a hiper type r 580watt frm pc world today ad the antec trucontrols were out of stock in ebuyer. wen switching the pc on frm a cold start, it is very quiet but after some time the 80mm fan can be heard like a whirring sound. this is i think due to the 120mm fan bringing in twice the amount of air than the 80mm fan can take out. the psu also gets very hot.

the non modular one on ebuyer has one 120mm fan and is only 52pounds. this modular i got cost me 65pounds.

i think the truecontrol wud hav been much betta asit has adjustable rails and fan noise. the noise states its 21.3dba but that is the average, isnt it?

this psu is 62pounds in ebuyer. also the specs of the hiper are the same but the 3.3 and 5v rail amperages are lower, 5 v is 4 amps lower than the truecontrol and 3.3 is 2 amps lower, the 12v rails are the same, but for sum reason the type r has 580watts and the truecontrol has 550watts continuous.

wat do u lot think i think the antec is much better nd i shud refund the type r and wait for the antec to become available in stock

2. roy92

roy92 CSS HAXOR

i like that antec better, the 120 fans are better, since they don't spin as fast as the 80, since the specs are pretty much the same, the antec sounds like a no-brainer.

3. izzy007

izzy007 Big Geek

the antec is brainier becoz its got the adjustable rails at the front, has 1 fan which has many other connector for fans which the speed can be controlled with the fan controller at the front and it has strict _+3% rails. the noise level is probably the average and shud be much lower under low load anyway. wat du u think B.
    b will know more but anyone with experience about this plz feel free to contribute.

4. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

i dont think that 120mm fan is brining in twice the amount of air than the 80mm fan can suck out, as the speed of the 120mm fan will be just right so that the 80mm fan can suck out plenty of air.

as for this whirling noise, i have never heard this, on really hot days you can hear the power supply a little bit.

5. izzy007

izzy007 Big Geek

yeah but that the problem wid a 120mm and an 80mm fan. i wud rather hav just a 120mm fan which wud spin a bit faster to get the same airflow and wud get more air out rather than limit the amount of air the 80mm fan can take out. anywayz i gave the hiper back today becoz of this and it use to get very hot, must have easily been around 45-50 degress whilst touching the outside casing of the psu

6. roy92

roy92 CSS HAXOR

good, personally, i would have done just that.