Any advice on what i want?

Discussion in 'New Build / Upgrade Advice' started by jester45, Jun 16, 2007.

1. jester45

jester45 Big Geek wanna be

I'm looking for a CHEAP machine. i'm 16 and just got a job so now i want to get a new machine. I think I can spend about $300 USD. and i was wondering if its worth building from just parts, a barebone system or just buy a computer at the store. I dont have any problem with installing parts i just dont trust my self with compatibility. I'm looking at PCDS Barebone: Intel Celeron D 336 (2.8GHz) Biostar motherboard, case w/ 430W PS as the base and with KVR400D2N3/512, CT6464AA40E, M378T6553BZ0-CCC, MT8HTF6464AY-40E, HYS64T64000HU-5, 512MB 240-pin PC2-3200 non-ECC non-Registered DDR2-400 DIMM as ram. I figured with that mobo i can upgrade the cpu later when i get a bit more money. and the ram would be upgradeable also. i have an extra moniter keybaord mouse and harddrive and cd drive but i need everything else

Any sugestions by you guys? if you think that you can find a better deal then go ahead i but i do not want 64bit, its just somthing i never liked to much.

also i would really like to know if that ram is going to work with the mob

2. RobertB

RobertB Geek Trainee

Ah, I remember those days - getting those first few paychecks.:D

I'd slowly start collecting parts, either buying them or bumming hand-me-downs from friends.

A good mobo will let you upgrade as your budget allows, so don't try to go too cheap there.

Looks like that mobo handles:
    # Maximum 2GB
    # 2 x DDR2 SDRAM DIMM
    # DDR2 400/533

It looks like that RAM is DDR2-400, so that should be fine. Can't vouch for the quality of it, tho.