Anyone got experience with Mac OS X?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X' started by RHochstenbach, Apr 1, 2007.

1. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

Does anyone here got any experience of Mac OS X? I have some questions:

1. Can I use a USB stick formatted with FAT 32 or NTFS? If not, and Mac OS uses a different file system, can I read that contents with Windows?
    2. What is your opinion about Mac OS X?
    3. Are there any good multimedia programs like Winamp for Mac (because I don't like iTunes)?

I want to know this, because I maybe want to buy a Mac.

2. Impotence

Impotence May the source be with u!

FAT32 can be read by basically every operating system in existence, including OSX.

Windows does not support the file system used by OSX, but, i do believe there is (non-Micro$oft/Apple) support.

I see OSX as a stepping stone between windows and linux based operating systems. OSX and Apple Computers do look quite nice but they are horribly overpriced for what they are... i doubt i would ever buy one but i might if i saw one second hand for a reasonable price (and then install Debian or Ubuntu).

If you use linux you have a fair chance of running windows software with wine/cedega/X over office/etc... however, the only support for this in OSX that i know about is cider (made by the same company as cedega, transgaming) but thats only for running games and is a fairly recently released product (so i doubt its that mature yet).

3. RHochstenbach

Thanks for the information! The reason because I might want to buy a Mac is because I just hate Windows (especially Vista), and I want an easy to operate OS (so that won't be linux for me unfortunately). About the prices, Mac OS seems not to be as expensive as Windows (very expensive, and also that license crap).

4. Impotence

Impotence May the source be with u!

Linux doesnt have to be hard...

Ubuntu or Kubuntu + Automatix = Just about everything you could need for home use (Multimedia codecs, flash + shockwave, extra software, etc etc)

switching from Windows to Linux is easy, as long as you dont have any windows only software that you cant live without! (which wouldn't run on a mac anyway...)

5. Fred

Fred Moderator

1. Already answered

2. Honestly, OSX bores me. I own a Powerbook G3 with OSX that I bought for 200 USD and when I first booted it, I was pretty impressed. After using it for about five minutes, I got bored. Not to say that will be the case with you, but I guess as an avid Linux user, everything else just gets boring. But it actually is a decent OS. I would recommend it anytime over Windows. As for some of the criticism over the price of apple products, as far as software you have to pay for goes, it is really not that bad. If OSX came like Windows does, with the OS and a couple cheap games, it would be a rip off (as much as MS)... but you have to take into consideration the amount of editing software [and more] that OSX comes with and the fact they lead the industry in editing software. Anyways, I hope that gets my point across.

3. I hate iTunes also. That program is so bloated and slow its not even funny. Ironically, one idiot I mentioned that to told me "Oh, that's weird cause I always felt that amarok seemed bloated and slow and iTunes seemed much quicker." Idiot. As for an additional media program, most linux programs will run on OSX... at least the ones that have been ported. Amarok should... link = On OS X - Amarok Wiki
    My instructor had kde running on his Mac laptop, so I'd imagine a lot of things have been ported.

Hope it helps!

6. RHochstenbach

Thank you guys! Lets say about a year, most programs that will be released then for Windows are only for Vista. I hate Vista, so I was thinking about Mac OS Leopard. Mac OS is expensive, but not that much as Windows. But I rather pay for a good working OS (Mac), than an OS that feels more like a beta version (Vista) :D
    [ot]I've read in a computer magazine that there won't be any Service Packs for Vista[/ot]

7. Wouter

Wouter Big Geek

"I've read in a computer magazine that there won't be any Service Packs for Vista"

I doubt that. But there were recent rumors, however, that there won't be an SP3 for WindowsXP.