Anyone have the Zalman cnps9? Is it a ripoff?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by stair314, May 2, 2009.

1. stair314

stair314 Geek Trainee

I just bout a Zalman cnps9500a at Fry's, and it looks like either I'm really stupid or I got completely ripped off. Does anyone have one of these and know that it works?
    It comes with a few different mounting parts for the different CPU socket types and it looks like the LGA775 ones just don't work at all. It has a plastic base that's meant to go over the CPU socket, then you attach the heatsink itself on top of that. However, it doesn't look like the heatsink actually sticks through the base! There would be like 2-3 mm of clearance between the CPU and the heatsink.
    That's all even assuming I could attach the base to my motherboard. The screws that it comes with aren't big enough to get any purchase on the socket 775 mounting holes, and my motherboard (MSI P7N Platinum SLI) has a row of capacitors all around the CPU socket that get in the way of the plastic base.
    It seems to me like this is really Zalman's fault; I mean the Intel CPU cooler that came with my quad core fits just fine, why can't Zalman do the same?
    I guess I'm going to see if I can get any of my money back from Fry's or try to sell it, unless someone tells me I'm being stupid and I need to do something tricky to get it to work.

2. stair314

stair314 Geek Trainee

Well in defense of Fry's they took it back and gave me a full refund, no questions asked.