Apple Adopts Controversial Security Chip

Discussion in 'News and Article Comments' started by syngod, Aug 3, 2005.

1. syngod

syngod Moderator

Developer preview models of Apple's forthcoming Intel-powered computer contain a security chip that has come under fire for its ability to compromise the privacy of users.

Apple recently started shipping Developer Transition Kits that help developers test and prepare software for the switch to the Intel-powered computers next year. The kit contains a version of OS X for Intel, and a Mac computer featuring an Intel processor.

The computer features a security chip called the Trusted Platform Module (TPM), an open industry standard governed by the not-for-profit Trusted Computing Group which develops security standards.

The chip's inclusion with the Apple hardware does not come as a complete surprise. It has been previously suggested that Apple could use the TPM to prevent computer users installing the OS X operating system on a non-Mac computer.

"The TPM is going to be the barrier for moving the Mac software to any PC," Martin Reynolds, a research fellow at analyst firm Gartner told vnunet.com.

Each TPM chip contains an encrypted serial number that allows the operating system to verify whether it is running on Apple hardware.

Hackers could in theory forge the serial number, according to Reynolds, fooling the software into believing that it is running on Mac hardware even when it is not.

The security chips are currently included with some PCs for the enterprise market from IBM/Lenovo and HP. They use the TPM to security store passwords or encrypt data.

The upcoming Windows Vista relies on the TPM for a technology dubbed Secure Startup, which blocks access to the computer if the content of the hard drive is compromised.

This prevents a laptop thief from swapping out the hard drive, or booting the system from a floppy disk to circumvent security features.

Reynolds suggested that in the future software developers could use the chip as an anti-piracy device. The vendor would link the TPM identification number to the software registration key.

However, the TPM has also gained notoriety because it is seen as a way to invade user privacy. The identifying number built into the chip could be used to limit the fair use of digital media by enforcing digital rights management technologies, or to track users online.

But Reynolds insisted that the fear of such scenarios is overstated, and that privacy-infringing schemes are uncovered sooner or later at great expense to the computer maker.

"There are things that manufacturers could do with the TPM that are very much against the interests of the user. But, in practice, manufacturers have found that it is best not to do that," he said.

Apple did not respond to questions about the TPM in time for this story's posting.

Source: VNUNet

2. Impotence

Impotence May the source be with u!

I dont like the soudn of theese chips, on any computer.

Allthough it will give some protection to a computer, it will all be bypassed with some clever spoofing.... like hotwiring a car to work with out the key.

The point that really worries me is that spyware will start to read serial numbers etc off the chips and either send them back or use them to assign an identity to the computer that will not change (such as the serial that might be used by mac)

Is it legal for mac to only allow there software to run on apple hardware? i didnt think this was allowed!

3. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

This whole thing has been common knowledge for a while now. MS is really looking forward to TPM also. In fact, one of the few substantial features that differentiates Windows 'Vista' from Windows XP will be "enhanced digital rights management". Not to sound like a zealot, but I think GNU/Linux is the only operating system who's implementing this hardware with the users in mind and not big corperate interest. In Linux, if the TPM platform is present, its implementation augments existing Linux security policies in hardware making for an even more secure OS. Of course, Linux being Linux even that functionality is optional, and the chip can be disabled completely. I have a feeling BSD will implement something similar to the Linux approach.

4. ThePenguinCometh

ThePenguinCometh There is no escape

This sounds like one of those anti-terrorist laws that do an awful lot to restrict peoples civil liberties while doing very little to improve our security. I'm with AT on this one, corporations of the Apple/Microsoft ilk is that they tend to be more concerned with their profit margins than with servicing their customers. This kind of thing in the hands on such people can only be bad news.

5. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

I'm with you AT as well, they're trying to control what's done on computers and I don't like it. Geek rebellion.