Apple allegedly explores using Intel chips

Discussion in 'News and Article Comments' started by syngod, May 24, 2005.

1. syngod

syngod Moderator

Apple Computer has been in talks that could lead to a decision soon to use Intel chips in its Macintosh line, according to a report published Monday.

The Wall Street Journal, citing two industry executives with knowledge of recent discussions between the companies, reported that Apple will agree to use Intel chips.

Neither company would confirm the report, and an Apple representative told the Journal that the information should be characterized as "rumor and speculation."

It was unclear whether such a move would signal a large-scale shift away from chips made by IBM, Apple's longtime supplier, the article said.

Read the rest of the article at News.com

2. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

maybe mac's want more mhz.

3. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

I dunno, I imagine this will help both companies but it takes something away form Apple if they throw in their arch nemesis' chips to keep prices down. At least now they're actually update their line of products more regularly, it takes Apple a long time to introduce new iterations or their G5's for instance when they have to rely off IBM all the time.

4. Addis

Addis The King

I thought that the G5 line had very good CPUs. Don't know why they're interested in Intel's chips since the PowerPC was good enough. A change from IPC to raw MHz then.

5. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Oh there were good for sure, no doubt but Jobs said they'd hit 3GHz over a year ago and here we sit at 2.7, the updates just take so long. But the tests do show that the chips can destroy the p4's in a lot of tests, particularly Photoshop.