Are LED fans worse than non LED?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by MagR, Jul 15, 2012.

1. MagR

MagR Geek Trainee

Hi all

I have bought some 140mm Aerocool Shark fans for my radiator. I got the red LED version as plain black was not available at the time and the prices were the same anyway – I am not really bothered about looks. I have not had the chance to use them yet as I’m waiting for other parts before I finish my watercooling loop but came across a worrying statement in an old edition of Custom PC I happened to be browsing.

The editor who wrote the column stated that LED fans were basically rubbish as they were made of flimsy clear plastic which flexed too much. This increased the noise considerably and robbed fans of most of their ability to move air. I’ve looked at recent customer reviews of these Aerocool fans on online retail sites and the comments regarding noise and airflow/pressure seemed consistent whether the reviewer owned the plain black or coloured LED version.

Can anyone shed any light on this. The article is dated from 2009 so I wonder if problems with LED fans have been corrected now. If not I think I will send them back. I notice the manufacturer’s specifications are identical whether the fan is a LED model or not but fan specifications are generally untrustworthy from what I’ve read.

Thanks in advance

Mag

2. Jan Benedict

Jan Benedict Geek

If you have rubber soles for your fans then noise won't be any problem, anyway, performance of fans mainly differs from the design and manufacturer. Having LED fans are awesome for looks and all. Non-Led are fine.

Bottom Line: It depends on Manufacturer, Design of Fan, # of Fins, Rubber Soles or Metal Screwed affects noise created by the fans

3. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

No, there is very little difference....they both can be noisy..and the both can be quiet... just a matter of preference..

4. NickyAB

NickyAB Geek Trainee

The only difference is that they have an led in them, otherwise there is very little difference.