Are These Memory Timings Correct?

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by Meddi, Jun 27, 2015.

1. Meddi

Meddi Geek Trainee

So I was looking though the bios today and saw contradicting information about memory timing. I'm total noob when it comes to this stuff and I just wanted to make sure my memory timings are set properly. I have it on auto currently because I dont know any better, but I do want the best performance possible.

Memory: KVR1333D3N9K2/8G

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

The timings are going to be based off what speed the RAM is running. The faster the RAM runs the looser the timings will be. For DDR3-666 (1333) speeds, your CAS latency is 9. I think the KVR notes Kingston's Value RAM line, which is perfectly fine, but not necessarily geared for tweaking. I doubt you would be able to find even high-performance stuff that would do a CAS of 6 at 1333 speeds as that's a pretty tight tweak.

Now, it's not to say you can't. What you want to do is adjust one timing setting and do it in an increment and test for stability (Memtest and prime 95 are suggested). If something starts going south, it's much easier to switch one setting back then try to figure out which of ten settings needs reset. Basically, take it slow and easy unless you want to give yourself a headache.

Meddi likes this.
  3. Meddi

Meddi Geek Trainee

Thanks, I guess I will try to match the JEDEC thing :)

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

The Auto setting uses the timings based on the 1333 speed if attainable, which it should on your motherboard.