Asking for a little input here

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by PostCode, Feb 5, 2002.

1. PostCode

PostCode Geek Trainee

What I'm currently working on is a basic FAQ/HOW-TO on flashing the BIOS of the PC. As this FAQ develops, it may or may not cover other aspects of the BIOS, such as settings and configuring it in detail. For now, it will be just an FAQ for flashing. What I would like to know for others is what questions they have about this. To comprise the FAQ, I want to stick to format of question/answer responses. I've compiled a list of typical questions that I am currently working on answers to:

How do I flash a BIOS?

Why should I update my system BIOS?

How do I clear the CMOS?

How do I get a replacement BIOS chip?

How do I save my BIOS settings so I can restore them later?

How can I fix my BIOS chip after a bad upgrade?

Why can't I access my BIOS? I press Delete and nothing happens?

How do I tell what version of BIOS is currently installed on the motherboard?

What does CAS Latency 2 and CAS Latency 3 mean?

How do I disable ACPI?

How do I clear the password?

These are a few that I have compiled. If you have any that you would like to contribute to the FAQ please post them here or email them to if you prefer. Any contributions will be noted and if used, the contributor will be listed in the FAQ in a special thanks section for all those who participate.

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Sounds good overall. Let us know when its up so we can post a link to it at TechWareNet

3. PostCode

PostCode Geek Trainee

Absolutely. Actually, I plan on making this a document for everyone to use. I'm not going to copyright any of it. All that I will be asking from people is that if they modify the document then plese send me the modified document to keep the FAQ updated. Other than that, it's going to be completely free for publication.

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Groovy.