Asrock 4coredual-Sata2 and E2160 OCing

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Ashton, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Ashton

Ashton Geek Trainee

I have a cheap Asrock4coredual Sata2 and an e2160.
    Temeratures are VERY low (mabye 36C at the most), and I want to overclock. I have DDR 400.

The board has automatic voltage control (doesn't have manual control), all I can change is the FSB.

When I reach 2.2ghz however (stock is 1.8), often the video and audio suddenly freeze, and I have to reboot.

Is it the ram, voltage, or motherboard?

2. gazaway

gazaway Geek Trainee

That board is not an overclocker's board... It's actually a piece of junk. If ran on stock settings it's OK at best. The reason being is that it's a "step" board where you can use old DDR1 or DDR2, agp OR pci-e gpus, and throw a 775 proc on it. That being said I would probably get a different board first.. DDR2 is extremely cheap (can get some 2g g.skill for around $40US.)

3. rimmer

rimmer Geek

I would never spend less than £60 ($115 USD) on a motherboard. Apart from the one I have now which was an extremely cheap, quick replacement mATX board when my £70 nFORCE 3 Ultra one died :(

4. Ashton

Ashton Geek Trainee

meh okay, I can safely stay at 2.1ghz at the most then

5. ShrimpBrime

ShrimpBrime Geek Trainee

Ummm. I have that board for my 939 amd's. I can overvolt and overclock the mobo chipset ram etc. I'm thinking you need an upgrade on that bios. You should be able to get more voltage. This is necc for stable OCin. Also look for some faster ram. DDR500 will have better timings and may increase stability also. But that mobo is outdated. I would try to find a cheap mobo with at least Nforce 4 chipset. Also you can look into volt modding. I'm not sure if that processor will do it and it's dangerous. Use the volt mod ( or pin mod ) as a last resort.:D
    Unless the processor wont let you overvolt wich is every bit possible.

6. Ashton

Ashton Geek Trainee

I have the latest BOIS, and my board takes DDR2 which I'm going to get

I cannot control the voltage manually

7. ShrimpBrime

ShrimpBrime Geek Trainee

So you have the expansion board and ddr2 on that? And you cant overvolt probably cause the processor wont let you. (perhaps with that mobo) Overvlolting is a must to really get stabile OC.

So I would suggest (if you have the money of corse) to upgrade that mother board to a DFI or even ASUS. I have ASUS and I havent found a processor I can not over volt. Of corse it is 939 and so was my AsRock dual sata. (wich I still have too.)

If you still can not over volt then upgrade the processor. Most overclockers wont go with the AsRock. They overclock but not as nicely as alot of other boards. Good Luck.:cool: