ASUS K8V-X SE with AMD3700 S 754

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by falk65, Dec 25, 2005.

1. falk65

falk65 Geek Trainee

Hi i have a problem i bought a barabone system from EBAY with this motherboard and it will not start up.Fans start and green powerled on motherboard lights up but a strange thing,both harddrive and the cd drive vill not start until i unplug the ide cable from mobo.I have removed all cards from mobo and i have 2 piece of 512 ddr 400 corsair mem sticks.No bios morse code and no display at all.The agp is only for 1,5 v support and i have put in a geforce 5200 with both 1,5 and 3,3 v marked on.Also i have tryed to start up with a old pci 3d fx voodoo card and a old ati pci no solutions at all.

Please if anyone know what possible is wrong send me a answer

2. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

Right, from what you are describing it sounds like its the IDE cable, so i would try a different ide cable, they cost about £1 or $1 from any store. If it still doesnt work with a new ide cable, then the problem is else where.

I personally suspect that your powersupply is not powerful enough to run your selection of components in your computer. typically if your computers components require more power than the powersupply can output, you will experience optical/media drives not working, as they are the least important.

What power is your PSU? - have alook on the label of the PSU it will list your Voltage Rails such as:

+3.3V = XAmps
    +5.5V = XXAmps
    -12V = X.XAmps

e.t.c

post em here, make model, voltage rails and overall wattage.

i would try a more powerful psu.

3. falk65

falk65 Geek Trainee

PSU is from Orion model number xp400 and it came with this tower and max output is 420 w +3.3v is 35 A +5V is 36 A & +12V is 17 A -5V is 1A & -12V is 1A and +5Vsb is 2A.The motherboard bios rev is 1003 and at asus.com they say all ower rev 1001 is support 3700+ amd without to flash bios.I have try to change ide cable but still same try another mem brand like buffalo 1 gb stick no diffrence sama problem.But i am wondering if this mobo just accept 1,5 v display at agp 4x and 8 x how can i reconise this cards from a 3,3v cards and sould i hear a agp codes in bios if this is the problem.This tower is infinity nzxt nice looking with a temp display in front and display only show stable 24°C temp so it is clear the cpu even not start up.I am thinking about buing another mobo after weekend from abit cheap one just to check all out of cards memsticks and cpu mybe this mobo is just died.:confused:

4. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

Don't buy another one, just mail the ebayer and say you would like a refund as when u recieved it it did not work so you got it tested by a tech store, and they say its faulty, so you want a refund.

5. falk65

falk65 Geek Trainee

Is this 420 watts output enough, like i say befor i have tryed to boot it up without powerplugs to cd and harddrive and without all cards just cpu and memsticks.And right now i have finish to try boot up outsied of case and all with the same no beebsounds or morse and no display.This guy i bought it from have not answered my e-mails for a week and i have just give him a negative feedback in ebay and he has a story of bad return for damaged thinks so i think it will be a smallest problem to buy just another mobo on a local store here.

6. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

The wattage doesn't really mean a damn thing. It's more or less marketing. I have a 330W Antec power supply with 22A on the 12V rail. Your supposed 420W has 17A on the 12V. I would try a different power supply before the mobo with a 400W or better power supply with 20A or better on the 12V rail from any of the following brands: Antec, Enermax, OCZ, Tagan, Fortron or Sparkle (FSP group).

Actually, Newegg has two FSP group power supplies that are amazingly inexpensive, but have some nice amperages: The AX400-PN is $39.99 and the AX450-PN is $49.99. Those power supplies could be rated 500W or higher and cost a lot more, especially considering that FSP makes some damn good power supplies. For a budget PSU, these would be your best bet.

7. falk65

falk65 Geek Trainee

I think i have located the problem.After i try to start it up outside the tower and nothing goes on i looked under the mobo and the socket for the fan is plastic in top of mobo but under it is a iron plate with a wery thin plastic layer between iron and mobo.And when the mobo is in case it touch the backpanel of tower but the plastic layer is to protect but on the mobo are lot of pins wich has cut the layer and it have lot of holes in it around 20 holes were the pins under the mobo can touch a iron backpanel.And if i look wery close on the mobo it seems it have benn wery hot because it is thin layer of somkind of stuff over all the motherboard to protect it from scratch and this layer is darker at some place and it has run to one corner at mobo.My friend test the CPU and it works ok so it has not damage him but those memsticks i put in just one of them now work in another computer.I will not give a good word to this ebay seller Geekdeal.com because he do not show me any responce for a week and i think it is much more and vicer solution to put a plastic backpanel for the fan then an Iron.Now i sit up with a burned mobo and a brand new memstick burned also.I will not return this to seller because it take to much time i am in Iceland and he i in USA and it took me 14 buisness days to get this barebone and i think it will be cheaper at least to buy stuff here at local stores then import it because all the work to try to start this think wich was damaged form begining because i not belive he start each system to see if it works or not.:mad:

8. falk65

falk65 Geek Trainee

I have already change mobo and all works fine so this ASUS like i call THRASUS is going to be burnt in a ceremony tonight at 02:00 gmt i want no flowers but good memoryies can be written at local papers.

ASUS K8V-X SE rip and may the god be with you