Athlon MP CPU Availability??

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by SETEO, Dec 30, 2001.

1. SETEO

SETEO Geek Trainee

Hey guys,

Right, I'm looking to buy a dual Athlon MP motherboard shortly, (Oooo baby!) but I'm struggling to find the processors anywhere. I want to get two 1.2ghz MP's but the only place I can find them is at overclockers.co.uk .....and they ain't exactly cheap....and ebuyer.com don't do them, damn it!.

Does anyone have any sites I can try that sell the Athlon MP?. :)

Cheers,

2. Moobrack

Moobrack Geek Trainee

Have you tried here

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

4. syngod

syngod Moderator

Seteo if you want you could just use two Athlon XP processors as there is really no difference between the MP and XP and the XP works fine in MP boards and you get to save a bit of cash :).

5. SETEO

SETEO Geek Trainee

Cheers guys for the sites and cheers SynGod for the info. :)

Right just to get this clear in my head, the XP chip can go into MP boards with no issues then?. If that is the case then that would be really handy as the XP chips are so much cheaper.

I know very little at the moment about AMD dual processor boards, but the thing I was reading up on was that on the dual AMD mobo's both the Palemino's chips have their own seperate bus, as opposed to having to share as they use too....is this then the same with using two XP's CPU on that same mobo, or is that purely a feature & benefit of the MP?. :confused:

And if I am right in thinking that, is there actually a noticeable difference in having an individual bus for each?.

If there definately is no discernable difference between them then I'll be buying the XP's instead because, as you said, that will save me quite a bit of cash!! :p

SETEO

6. syngod

syngod Moderator

Didn't notice this but looks as though BigB has wrote an article on it. I just finished building a dual procesor Athlon system with the Tyan based board and had no issues using dual 1900+'s and I've heard of no problems with Asus' boards as BigB points out in his article.

7. SETEO

SETEO Geek Trainee

Cheers Syngod & Big B! :p

I'm will be getting the Tyran m/board also & that superb article covers everything that I had doubts about with it....excellent!.

Oh and out of interest, do all OS's support dual-processors?....

8. syngod

syngod Moderator

The win9x lineup and XP Home Edition do not support SMP.

If your running Linux, XP Professional and server editions, Win 2k or NT your fine though.

9. SETEO

SETEO Geek Trainee

That's great, many thanks for the info Syn. :)

10. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Note that if you want to use Linux, Unix, or *BSD you'll have to add the SMP stuff into the kernel and recompile it before SMP is useable. 2k and XP Pro do it automatically.

If ya want to get some good SMP info, hit 2CPU.

11. SETEO

SETEO Geek Trainee

Cheers Big B :) . I found that site via your article last night and found some good info on the subject there.

Also Syngod, purely out of interest, which HSF are you using on both of your XP's?.

12. syngod

syngod Moderator

I used Thermalright SK6 Copper Heat Sink & Delta Ball Bearing Fans for both of them since I've never had a problem with the in single procesor systems.

13. SETEO

SETEO Geek Trainee

Yeah I was looking at that HSF also & the GlobalWIN CAK38 copper too....trying to decide which one to go for....I'm swaying towards the Thermalright at the moment.

Is it pretty loud with the two of them in the case?....or is it bearable?.....(I've used the DO3 & CAK38 (standard) in the past, so I don't mind the noise that much).

14. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I've been looking at the Vantec CCK-6035D myself. Has 4900RPM and 7KRPM variants, and they are all copper. They seem to be fairly cheap at newegg (20 bucks+shipping)

15. syngod

syngod Moderator

It's fairly loud but since I'm only going to be using it as a SQL server for an upcoming site noise isn't really going to be an issue.

The noise isn't super severe but you probably wouldn't want to have it running in an office enviroment or as a home theater pc.

Btw if your still planning on a dual processor AMD system I'd check out the Asus board GamePC just did a review of it and it looks nice. Might even have to swap the Tyan board for it :).

16. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I had considered it, but looking at the extra cost, it just wasn't worth it for me. I may order the 6027D since the fan isn't as loud. I just am waiting for some other things first before I order it and an XP CPU.

17. SETEO

SETEO Geek Trainee

Thanks for all the advice guys. :)

Well, I built it last week, two 1700 XP's and it goes like a dream.

Does anyone know the command for spreading UT across both CPU's?.

18. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I don't think that's possible with UT. It's not made to take advatage of dual CPU's like the Quake 3 engine. The best way to do it, although I've never tried, is to set the CPU's to affinity and go from their. I don't think that would work still...it's worth a shot.

19. SETEO

SETEO Geek Trainee

Cheers Big B.

Any idea of the command with Q3 engine games?.

Much apprieciated.

20. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I believe it's "/r_smp 1"(no quotes).