Athlon XP 2400+ - Temperatures

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by DavidNW, May 1, 2006.

1. DavidNW

DavidNW Big Geek

Well, I finally managed to remove my PC’s heatsink retaining clip after 'the mother of all battles' and install the Athlon XP 2400+ to replace the 1.25 GHz chip.

Yesterday, the PC was going for about 16 hours, 8 of those with the DVD burner in action. The temperature steadily climbed and topped out at 52C, according to Speed Fan 4.28 http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

Today, the PC has been going for about 9 hours and the current temperature is 48C. I applied a thin layer of Arctic Silver thermal paste to the processor - as I read somewhere – hope this was right.

I’m using the old heatsink & fan – don’t know the actual RPM, but the fan rotates at anywhere between 2909 & 3013 RPM. The old 1.25 GHz chip used to be steady at between 46-47C, so I’m assuming the temperatures I’m getting on the new chip aren’t that bad by comparison. Do you think the temperatures I’m getting are acceptable for this chip, or should I try for a more efficient cooling fan and or heatsink?

Any advice, as always, would be appreciated.

Dave.

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

48*C for stock? Yeah, that's a little on the high side. It's not dangerous, as anything 60*C and up is considered trouble, but it certainly isn't a bad idea to check out some meatier cooling. Thermaltake has some nice coolers, and something with a copper or copper and aluminum composition should help. The SilentBoost K7 or something similar will do the job. I believe it has a 3-hook prong---which can make things much easier to install and remove when things ard needed.
    Also, you might want to take some compressed air and blow your case out if you haven't done so in a while. I had a 6*C drop in my CPU temp when I hadn't cleaned my box out in awhile.

3. DavidNW

DavidNW Big Geek

Cheers, Big Bro.

I actually ordered some compressed air this morning via ebay with blowing out the case in mind - it has never been dusted out and it's nearly 5 years old. I'll check out the cooling options you mentioned, thanks.

Dave.

4. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

Yeah, the SilentBoost K7 is a good heatsink.
    I have it running my XP2800+ at 33 idle and 41 load.

5. DavidNW

DavidNW Big Geek

Hello, everyone.

I have been using SpeedFan 4.28 to monitor my processor's temperature and all the readings I have quoted have been based on that. However, on re-reading the program's overview, I think the program is actually reading my motherboard's temperature, and not the processor's, which I thought it was. So, the readings I gave re: my procesor's temperature could be void.

Does anyone know of a link for a processor temperature reader?

Cheers,

Dave.

6. izzy007

izzy007 Big Geek

well 48 nd 52degrees is way too high for ur mobo. sumfing has to be wrong. u shud have gud ventilation.

4 a temperature software, u cud use motherboard monitor or a software from ur mobo manufacturers website. if u have an MSI board, u cud use pc alert

7. DavidNW

DavidNW Big Geek

Thanks, Izzy.

I've since got a program to read my CPU's temperature and it's currently saying that it's 37C, so I guess that's a lot better.

However, both this program & SpeedFan 4.28, say the motherboard's temperature is 52C - this seems really high to me, but I have no idea what a motherboard's temperature should be.

Dave.

8. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

That depends on where the motherboard temp sensor is placed. It could be close to the northbridge, which if it's using passive cooling (i.e. heatsink only) instead of an active cooler, then it could explain the issue.

9. DavidNW

DavidNW Big Geek

Thanks, Big Bro.

I now have 3 programs to read the CPU temperature.

1. SpeedFan 4.28 (although I think this only reads the m/board temp)/
    2. FreshDiagnose 7.32
    3. Everest 2.20.405

Taking the latter two in particular, they seem to differ in thier readings of the CPU.

Just booted-up about 10 mins ago and FreshDiagnose 7.32 reads it at 25c
    Everest 2.20.405 says it's 28c. However, all three programs agree that the m/board temp is 47c. I guess there has to be some variation in these programs as to how they read the sensors in relation to where they are placed. Yesterday, the CPU's temp was down to 12c according to one of the programs - I would have really liked that one to be accurate! :)

Cheers,

Dave.

10. izzy007

izzy007 Big Geek

u may need a bios update. wat mobo hav u gt. if it waz reporting 12c, it is most likely a temp snsor or bios problem nd if it is a bios problem, den an update shud solve it.

touch ur processor heatsink nd ur mobo's heatsink nd u can see wich one's hotter. if the processor's is hotter than the mobo, then u shud update ur bios becoz it is reporting da mobo temp wrong however if ur mobo's heatsink is hotter than ur processor, den u've gt real problems.

oh yeah nd check eat temp ur bobo iz wen u switch on ur pc frm a cold boot. if it is over just say 28-30 degrees nd ur room is pretty cool, den that explians the problem that u need a bios update.

11. DavidNW

DavidNW Big Geek

Yes, I'm starting to think a bios update might be a good idea all round, not just because of the CPU issue, but also because it's quiet an old version now.

I have searched to ECS website to get one, but don't think they have the correct update for my board. It's one thing you really want to get right or your sytem could hang. The Everest program I mentioned takes a snapshot of your current bios and claims to be able to give you the correct bios update for your system. However, it comes at a price: $ 29 US (£16) GB. It would be nice to get the correct update for free!

My bios specs are:

Program: eSupport.com BIOS Agent Version 3.52
    BIOS Date: 12/27/02
    BIOS Type: American Megatrends
    BIOS ID: 62-1227-009999-00101111-040201-VIA_K7-K7VMM
    OEM Sign-On: K7VMM+ Release 12/27/2002
    Chipset: VIA 82C3116 rev 0
    Superio: ITE 8705/SiS 950 rev 2 found at port 2Eh
    CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2400+ 2000 Mhz MAX: 3000 Mhz
    BIOS ROM In Socket: Yes
    BIOS ROM Size: 256K
    Memory Installed: 512 MB
    Memory Maximum: 4096 MB
    Memory Slot 01: 256 MB
    Memory Slot 02: 256 MB
    Memory Slot 03: 0 MB
    Memory Slot 04: 0 MB

eSupport.com, Inc.
    1-800-800-BIOS (2467)
    www.esupport.com

Dave

12. izzy007

izzy007 Big Geek

u shud b able to search for an alternative bios. i gt mine from a different site bcoz my mobo was too old so i gt a bios frm a chinese site wich of course i didnt understand but i downloaded it from wat my instincts told me nd it worked becoz it was da rite version

13. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

14. DavidNW

DavidNW Big Geek

15. izzy007

izzy007 Big Geek

try searching for it in google. type sumfing like 'download ECS K7VMM+ 3.1 bios'

oh yeah wat temp did u get on the mobo frm a cold boot

16. DavidNW

DavidNW Big Geek

I think it was around 25c, but I'll check next time & let you know. Think I have found a bios update for my ECS K7VMM+ 3.1 http://www.driverscollection.com/main.php?file_id=28413 but not really confident it's the right one. I don't know, but I hear, if you get the wrong update your system can hang.

Dave.

17. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

looks like the BIOS will work
    screwing up in flashing to a different bios, or a wrong bios for your motherboard and it won't work

bios= basic input/output system
    once that is screwed up, the system doesn't know what to do once turned on

18. izzy007

izzy007 Big Geek

if it waz 25degrees, den it is likely that a bios update may not do the trick becoz 25 seems normal. although wen it reports aboive 45 degrees, u cud do wat i sed earlier nd touch the mobo's hetsink nd the cpu heatsink to see wich is hotter. if ur mobo temp is hotter den a bios update wont do the trick.
    dat bios shud wrk though. just dont swich off ur comp whilst flashing, nd rememba to save ur old bios wen it asks u too.

19. DavidNW

DavidNW Big Geek

Thanks for the good advice. Actually, the CPU temp has been steady at around 29c and the PC has been on all day, so maybe things are okay after all.

Dave.