Athlon XP Unlocking Article

Discussion in 'News and Article Comments' started by syngod, Oct 8, 2002.

1. syngod

syngod Moderator

For a number of years, AMD processors have been the weapon of choice for those looking to overclock their systems. Unlike their Intel counterparts, the AMD processors allowed the user to change the multiplier as well as the Front Side Bus. As a result, an enormous range of overclocked combinations was available. In doing so, the user could effectively find the sweet spot of their system where the optimum combination of multiplier and Front Side Bus (FSB) speed were found.

AMD soon realized that they would have a hard time justifying the increased cost of their flagship processors if users could purchase slower processors and overclock them to the same speeds. Therefore, they began to take measures to stop the overclocker in his tracks. Here, the company began "cutting" the L1 bridges, which are responsible for setting the clock multiplier. The broken connection of these bridges essentially locked the multiplier at one fixed value and left only the FSB speed for adjustment.

View the rest of the article at nV News

2. RZA

RZA l337 CounterStriker

I dont get it I can easy change my FSB 155 and have a 1555mhz cpu instead of 1333 and I didnt do anything to my cpu.
    Or is my cpu to old (I think the 1500+ was the first xp wasnt it ?)?