Ati card

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by KenshinX, Nov 26, 2005.

1. KenshinX

KenshinX Big Geek

I dont know much about Ati cards but from the looks of it they have some good deals as I've posted in a later post i was looking at the Geforce 6200 but now I've found this ATI 9800se on newegg with the ability to unlock 4 extra pipelines i just wanted to know if this would allow it to be better than my current 5700LE or just as good as the 6200

I have been told that the ATi X300 was suppose to be the 6200s main competition but since i kow close to nothing about Ati cards i just wanted to verify this statement thanks any comments accepted...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814131293

2. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

It's true that you'll be able to unlock the 4 extra pipelines through softmodding, but it's not recommended as it can cause all sorts of problems, but then agian, it might work perfectly!
    On it's own at default settings and core/memory speeds, the 9800se is a fair bit better than a 5700LE or a 6200. If your looking for a card from the 9000 series of ATi cards, then look for a 9800 Pro or 9800XT. But if you want a 9800se, try to get the full 256 Bit version as most manufacturers opt for a 128 Bit implementation.

3. KenshinX

KenshinX Big Geek

thanks if its only a lil better than my 5700LE i think ill stick with a X300 or 6200...or possibly if i somehow get some extra money during christmas season after buying gifts a 6800

4. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

Check out This article on the difference between the 9800se and the 5700. Although it doesn't list the 5700LE, it does list the 5700 and 5700 Ultra which are comparible!

5. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Save your money, though the 6200/X300 aren't too bad it really wouldn't be much of an upgrade. I'd spend at least $100 on an X700Pro if I were you.

6. KenshinX

KenshinX Big Geek

yea i really am thinkin about a 6800gt hopefully after christmas but thats after christmas i know im getting some games for christmas so thats a let down right now i'm just waiting for my case to get here i cant wait

7. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Good call man though I must say a GeForce 6800GS is a real deal, about $70 less for only a 5% performance hit (compaired to the 6800GT) looks great by me, with a very simple overclock you can reclaim the lost fps no problem.