ATi Radeon HD 2900XT Reviews

Discussion in 'News and Article Comments' started by Big B, May 14, 2007.

1. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

AMD has lifted the NDA, and the reviews are out of the gate. From the Tech Report review:

Who could blame us, really, for being impatient? The GeForce 8800 is a stunning achievement, and we're eager to see whether AMD can match it. You'll have to forgive the most eager among us, the hollow-eyed Radeon fanboys inhabiting the depths of our forums, wandering aimlessly while carrying their near-empty bottles of X1000-series eye candy and stopping periodically to endure an episode of the shakes. We've all heard the stories about AMD's new GPU, code-named R600, and wondered what manner of chip it might be. We've heard whispers of jaw-dropping potential, but—especially as the delays piled up—doubts crept in, as well.

More coverage can be had at the following links:

Anandtech
    Guru of 3D
    [H]ard|OCP
    Hardware Secrets
    Hexus
    Hot Hardware
    PC Perspective
    Tweak Town

2. sunny87

sunny87 Geek Trainee

I angry about this DX10 like really angry, I was stupid enough to buy a ATi x1950xtx end of last year and then they bring these out.

And they still have the cheek to keep the x1950xtx series cards in the £299.
    And the specs are a little better than the HD 2900XT.

Are they compatible in crossfire with older model cards, if you run that card as master?
    I take it properly not.

I’ll just wait until they make one that outperforms the X1950xtx.

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Actually, they do outperform the X1950's. It's more or less on par with the 8800GTS, which is close to running two X1950's in Crossfire.

As far as a Radeon HD 2000 series card running in Crossfire with an X1000 series card, I'd lean in the direction of no. Mostly due to the DX10 support of the HD2000 line, which may very well prove detrimental when DX10 games do start coming out.

Games requiring DX10 are ways off. I doubt it's going to be required for at least a few years.

4. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

There is alot of games coming out that can use DX10 and sometime this week, today or tomorrow I belive the Lost Planet DX10 demo is released.

5. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

True. But, like I said, none that require DX10 yet. UT 3 is coming out...but I'll have to play a demo before I'm going to consider purchasing it.
    Crysis will be another big title.

6. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

hmm... So, i don't think i'm sold on AMD's card, yet. Its nice and all, and priced real sweet like, but in almost all aspects its outperformed by Nvidia's 8series cards. Yeah it does sweet in AMD's little test thing, but its kinda hard to rely on a test given by the manufacturer. Guess we'll have to wait until the drivers mature a little and see how it runs under real conditions on games.

7. sunny87

sunny87 Geek Trainee

Agreed, I'm starting to shy away from the AMD cards now getting a little pissed off with it all.