.avi

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Willz, Aug 19, 2006.

1. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

Hi, i got this .AVI Media File on my computer, the thing is, i want to copy it onto DVD so that it can be used on a standard DVD player/Home Theatre System, the thing is, DVD's will only play MPEG right? well can they play MPEG, i know they cant play .AVI, well mine cant, so how do i get the .AVI to play on a standard DVD player?

2. DavidNW

DavidNW Big Geek

You should have no difficulty in achieving this if you use a UDF writing package such as Nero 6.0.

I use the later and have countless times burned avi files to a blank DVD disk so that it can be played in a home DVD player. Nero will automatically carry out the required conversion, so there really should be no problem.

3. Willz

Yea, i have tried Nero, its so annoying tho, you see it all in a little screen, its practically running through the damnd file, you see everything playing :( takes ages.

4. zeus

zeus out of date

5. Willz

darn, no quicker way, as if ur burning an iso onto dvd?

6. zeus

zeus out of date

Converting media like this is one of the most strenuous operations you can throw at your cpu.

My cpu is crap compared to yours, it will do a film in no time at. In fact it could had it done in the time its taken me to reply to your most recent post!

Have you really got an fx 57! They cost more than my whole computer did, and I got a P4 as soon as you didnt need rambus.

7. Willz

no, i have a 3700+ AMD 64, its overclocked to FX57 speeds, and only diffo between the cpu's is 128kb l2 catch, the 3700+ @ 2.8ghz has been known to do better in various things than an FX57, the FX57 is just for bragging rights, fastest AMD CPU, aimed at gamers. This is why i put practically and 64kb catch, coz only diffo is name and catch from what i see, obviously its meant to run at 2.8ghz so can overclock further.

well i had about 14 episodes of southpark, each episode was about 138mb, taking nearly 2 damnd hours :mad:, i was using the DVD Making thing on NERO 7

8. Addis

Addis The King

2 hours is definately not bad, I'm used to much longer waits for video reencoding.

You see most DVD players won't play XviD/DivX, (avi files are container formats, the actual codec needed can be different). If you have the appropriate mpeg4 encoder installed, Nero or others will encode it to mpeg4 for you. But this is a hugely CPU intensive process, we're talking billions of pixels here.

9. Willz

yea, i think 2 hours is mad tho, surely it should take like 30 mins, not 2 hours.
    I put the whole of the fast and the furious onto DVD once, only took like 1hour i think.

10. zeus

zeus out of date

Big tasks take time. It took me 11hrs to compile Open Office once, not inclucding rendering that was the longest ive had to wait for something. Ive had things on my calculator take 15mins too.

You need a faster computer willz :)

11. Willz

a faster one, it should be fast enough with my CPU, anyway at moment i am putting a 140min vid onto DVD, its taking about 36 mins when i leave the computer idle.

12. blade

blade GEEK 2.0

I have the exact same problem. I want to be able to burn .avi movies and play them in a standard dvd player; what software are you now using?

13. DavidNW

DavidNW Big Geek

Nero 6.0 (or later) will do the job for an .avi file if the file's size does not exceed the size of your blank DVD media, 4.7 GB for a single layer disk or 8.5 GB for a dual layer.

If you want to backup one of your own existing DVD movies you could use DVD Shrink which will 'shrink' the movie onto a single layer blank disc without too much loss of playback quality. I have also heard that DVD Decrypter can do the job, but I have no knowledge of the software.

However, as mentioned in this thread, the process can be slow, but no big deal, really.

14. Willz

In NERO 7 i think if the file size is too big, it automatically resizes it, well it reduces the video quality a little, but its so annoying that you practically gotta watch the movie to burn it, i suppose movies aint that long, what CPU do you think will be able to get a movie done faster, 3.0ghz pentium 4 pressy, or my overclocked 3700+ @ 2.8ghz?

15. DavidNW

DavidNW Big Geek

Well, you seem to have a pretty good chip there whichever way you look at it. Unfortunately, these things take time and you'll probably just have to live with it until you find a better alternative.

I have a slow chip by comparison (AMD 2400+, 2.0 GHz. I can reckon on 2 hours + for an average movie. It's time consuming, but you can always be doing other things on the PC whilst it's working. You could also let the process run overnight and automatically turn off the PC when it's done.

16. Willz

for about 1hour and 40mins movie, is 1hour or 36mins any good? (i mean a 700mb aswell)

I cant really do other things on the pc whilst doing it coz it slows my pc down too much coz its using all the 100%

I am thinking maybe turning my pentium 4 comp into the comp that does all the work, like burning etc.., i download to my main comp, then it burns it over a network, but my pentium 4 dont like been at 100% cpu usage, the pc usually cuts out, thats the main reason i upgraded, that pentium 4 would of been a beast if the mobo was not faulty, would of got it up to 3.8ghz.

17. DavidNW

DavidNW Big Geek

Yes, that sounds good, unfortunately, the process is quiet cpu intensive and takes a lot of time, but you're not doing bad with those timings.

18. Willz

i wonder what other people with cpu simaler to mine are getting.

19. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

It takes my computer about 3 hours to rip and encode a 1h 40m film to AVI using Linux DVD Rip-O-Matic. I have an Intel Celly 2.8GHz

20. Willz

Would be good if there was a test file people could download and see how long it took to encode, then results could be posted here, it would be intresting how long it would take for each comp.