Bad ram slot questions about mobo

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by Jetrel, May 7, 2014.

1. Jetrel

Jetrel Geek Trainee

My asus notebook recently crapped out. I narrowed the issue down to a bad ram slot. Then my hard drive started to have errors every startup.
    My questions now.
    1. Can i jus not use the bad ram slot instead of replacing the mobo?
    2. Can a bad ram slot and then a failing hdd mean anything significant?
    3. Should i just replace the hdd and not use the ram slot? Or will the mobo just end up failing and kill another hdd?
    Buying another laptop or replacing the mobo are both not possible for me at the moment. I just want to know how i could go about fixing my laptop or if i shouldnt even bother.

2. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

First Question is, What is the Max memory you can install ? It would be probably cheaper to get another used / refurbished laptop than spend the money to try to fix that one..

Jetrel likes this.
  3. Jetrel

Jetrel Geek Trainee

This laptop was refurbished and ive had bluescreen issues with it the whole time. Im pretty sure they sold it to me knowing it had a faulty ram slot as the blue screens pointed to memory. I took it to them and hey said it was fine after running a memory test. They dicked me around till my warranty expired.
    After uninstalling the ram from the bad slot i still have 6gb in which is plenty. Paid about 1500 for it three years ago. I doubt i would find anything as good for the cost of repairs.
    My questions still stand.

Last edited: May 7, 2014
  4. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

What are the specks of this Notebook ?

Jetrel likes this.
  5. Jetrel

Jetrel Geek Trainee

Asus N73JQ
    Had 8gb ram, now using 6..
    i7 intel
    Geforce gt 425m 1gb
    Win7
    Hd should be 2.5" by 9.5mm i think. Ill look on newegg for one should be around $100. Though i dont know much about what the rpm and cache mean ill look it up later.

Thanks for the help btw. Im no expert, testing the ram figuring out which slot was bad is the extent of my abilities lol pretty sure i can install a new hd easily enough so my cost to repair it will be lower. Repairing the mobo ram slot is far beyond me though so i hope i can just ignore it.

Last edited: May 7, 2014
  6. Jetrel

Jetrel Geek Trainee

I looked up the specs again and something didnt match up.. My notebook came with 8 gb ram.. The specs say it should have 12? What?

It probably means up to 12 gb.. Maybe i can just put better ram in if having 6gb becomes an issue. Though i doubt ill notice it. Three 4gb sticks would give me 12 and i could ignore the bad slot anyways?

Here is what I am looking at right now, not sure which is the best choice or even the right choice http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produc...NodeId=1&name=9.5 mm&PriceMin=35&PriceMax=100

Last edited: May 8, 2014
  7. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Not all BSOD are cause by memory, A failing hard drive can also do this.. have you run spinrite or hard drive regenator to check hard drive for errors.

8. Jetrel

Jetrel Geek Trainee

Yeah, ive ran hdd checks. Came up wih errors, fixed them, restarted, checked again, errors. I did this over about 5 times before i gave the hdd up as fucked. Before that the bsod errors all pointed toward memory. I had to run memtests while playing musical chairs with the ram slots to figure out whether the ram was bad or the slots. The memory errors came in when using the bad slot by the thousands. 60k plus errors for using that one slot.. I dont see how the hdd could do that. Removed the ram which i tested to be fine in other slots and had zero errors. Around a week later i had problems even starting it up so i ran a check on the hd, thats when i found it to be borked.

9. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

This Laptop sounds like a handful, It sounds like it was Probably Dropped ...I think I would try another hard drive to see what will happen, If that works great... If not, then I would Move on to another Laptop... That One seems to have allot of Problems...

10. Jetrel

Jetrel Geek Trainee

I know right? First time buying a refurb too. Is it always this bad?

11. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

No , Not at all... I buy allot of refurbished stuff.. From Desktops to laptops to iphones.. I have had good luck..