Bash Commands Tutorial SSH into Samba Server, Centos 5.3 64bit

Discussion in 'Linux, BSD and Other OS's' started by BoBBYI986, Sep 1, 2009.

1. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

Hey all im fairly new to linux. The guys at work use it alot and im wondering wtf they are typing in ssh (putty). I've got a few commands down but very little. do any of you guys know of a tutorial that can help me? thanks in advance. I wanna be able to acesss files, download files, mod files, move files/folders about etc. that's probs all basic to you guys but everybodys gotta start somewhere :)

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

SSH, or Secure SHell, is a way of getting a local shell on a remote *nix system over an SSL tunnel. It is not a shell itself, so the commands you use on the other side depend almost entirely on what shell you've got on the remote side (e.g. BASH). In other words, using RDP to access a Windows system doesn't help much if you don't know how to use Windows. Likewise with SSH and *nix. :)

On the other hand, there are some SSH-specific commands you should learn if you are serious about this. For example, SCP, SFTP...

learning ssh - Google Search

3. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

hi, thanks for your help, I will look into learning quite a few of these commands. I've got a centos vm setup at the moment just messing with it. also webmin. gonna try look into coding as well learning some php, java etc. do you have any experience with coding? if so you know of any good tutorials to help me? thanks for your time.