Belkin F5D6020 PCMCIA Card - no CD - no .inf file Ideas please

Discussion in 'Mobile Technology' started by brush3287, Aug 12, 2007.

1. brush3287

brush3287 Geek Trainee

Hi
    My son's Buffalo card died. I decided to donate my Belkin card, only 11b, but it works (price of being an early adopter!).

Now i foolishly installed a USB adapter on my machine. I of course removed everything relating to the old b card and so the relevant .inf file is no more.

When I came to install on my son's machine, windows hw detection wants you to supply the setup file (aforementioned .inf). At this point I discover that I no longer have the CD or mislaid/lost it. The download program from the Belkin site does not contain the inf file - believe me, I've looked and searched (and am currently in a "meaningful dialog" with the support people at Belkin).

I have searched the web but so far no luck. Anyone with any ideas?

TIA:doh:

2. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

3. brush3287

brush3287 Geek Trainee

Yup
    Those are they and they are the right ones but sans the .inf file, which is what the Windows Hardware detection routine needs.
    Many thanks for your help - I'll go on searching and post the resolution (assuming I get one!) here.

4. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

have you run the setup.exe file? instead of looking for that file? the setup should install the drivers for you.

5. brush3287

brush3287 Geek Trainee

Hi Sniper

Yes I've run the setup routines. They install the monitor software from Belkin and put the drivers into their relevant places. The Windows Hardware detection process then requires a script file (the .inf file), provided by the hardware vendor to tell Windows where everything is and how I think, it (via the HAL) needs to work and what entries get placed in the registry.

This is what is stopping me. Presumably, this has never changed since the product was released and some bright engineer never put the inf file in the latest downloads.

If you know otherwise...