Best cooler for pentium 4 3.0ghz prescott

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Willz, Aug 8, 2005.

1. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

i reckon you could get 3.4 or 3.5, but i think 3.6 is pushing it unless your RAM has headspreaders!

2. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

would it fry my ram?
    also, i noticed that the fan is facing the northbridge on it, and when i put my hand over the top of graphics card, there is lots of heat coming off it, so will that heat the cpu up, or should i have the back case fan sucking in instead of sucking out (change back to front)?

3. pelvis_3

yeah make that back fan blow onto the heatsink, it wont fry your RAM but it gets pretty warm! a true overclocker has all that kinda crap! (heatspreaders and such)

4. Willz

if it will not slow my ram down, then i am not botherd about ram getting a little warmer than usual.
    do you think i will notice any increase in performance in games and just loading times but overclocking my processor from 3.0ghz to 3.6ghz?

5. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

Good news on the new h/s+fan.
    hope you get the most out of it...

remember you promissed pictures!! :D

OCing in small steps will soon show you how far you can go, hopefully without damaging your system.
    Some mobos will allow you to seperately control the OCing of each component so you should be able to increase the performance of you CPU while making sure your RAM is safe.
    Not sure how it is done with yours.

Just take small steps and keep a good eye on the temps! :good:

Remember it was not the Wright Brothers who launched the space shuttle... Know wha' um sayin???

6. pelvis_3

id say maybe a 8-15 frame increase!

7. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

also make sure your FSB/RAM speed ratio is 1:1, best performance that way.

8. Willz

hey,i have got my ac freezer 4 now, i have a wierd feeling that i will be experiencing dificulties fitting this :\.

9. Willz

ok, i have installed the zc freezer 4, but the problem is, that the temperature at idle is still 52 degrees, so does this sound like the motherboard is faulty?
    i would of expected at least 40 degrees at idle.

10. pelvis_3

well either your sensors are faulty or you put too much or too little thermal grease on the CPU!

11. Willz

i put the right amount on, and even if i did put too much, it would not get to that temperatures,
    if my cpu was at 52 gefrees, would the heatsink be really hot, becouse i have felt the hatsink, and at the top, its really cool, is there anyway to disable the sensors, becouse it said somthing on artic cooling website about if some values are not right with temperature and fan speed, then it causes your computer to either reboot or turn off, is there anyway to repair the sensors?

12. pelvis_3

the only way the fix the sensore is to replace the mobo! and if you put too much on it wouldnt transfer heat properly so it would heat up. and if the heatsink is cool then its prob safe to say that the sensors are stuffed!

13. Willz

but becouse the sensors are faulty, its making mobo think that its getting too how, so computer shuts down, and i cant afford a new motherboard, as i need to buy graphics card.

there must be a way to disable the sensors.

14. pelvis_3

well you cant turn the sensors off but you can turn off the feature that shuts down the computer when it gets too hot!

15. Willz

how?
    also i think the cpu is at 63 degrees at full 100% loas.
    so how do i disable the thing that shuts the computer off when it gets too hot?, what is it listed as in bios.

16. pelvis_3

i just downloaded the manual for your mobo but it is corrupted so in the BIOS
    in the hardware monitor section (assuming you have one) there should be a setting in there either at the very top or bottom!

17. Willz

there is not a hardware monitor section, re-download the manual, if all attempts at getting manual to work dont work, then i will write all the options in bios down.

18. pelvis_3

in the PC Health status just change the Shutdown Temperature to like 150C or something really high as the CPU would never get that hot!

19. Willz

the problem is, i cant change anyhting in the pc health status, its all locked, and i dont know how to unlock it.

20. pelvis_3

well then im stumped, but i did read something about installing a program that came with your driver cd, it supposed to pop up a warning message or sound an alarm when your CPU gets too hot!
    But there wasnt any other reference to that!