best motherboards?

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by dmbjohn, Feb 4, 2007.

1. dmbjohn

dmbjohn Geek Trainee

i am wondering what the best or better motherboard companys are on the market. in addition whats chip makers have proven to function best

2. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

I always prefer ASUS motherboards. They are very stable, and have very great features. The 2nd one thats great, is MSI. But I think that ASUS it the winner :D

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

From my experience, some of the better motherboard companies:

-Asus
    -Gigabyte
    -DFI
    -Abit
    -MSI
    -ECS

Not to say there aren't other good ones, but a few have dropped out of the motherboard biz (Soyo, Chaintech), and other's I've not used anything recent enough where I feel confident in recommending (Epox).

As far as chips, if you mean chipsets, the major players: Intel, nVidia, AMD (because of the ATi acquisition), SiS and VIA. Intel and nVidia are the dominate forces right now, while SiS and VIA largely go with the value segment, and don't always offer the best performance, SiS in particular, although both companies have had more driver-related performance issues than others. AMD did produce a few of it's own chipsets, but never got that big. With the purchase of ATi, their involvement in chipset production should change significantly.
    As a final mention, ALi, renamed as ULi, seemed to have it's act together. nVidia bought them out recently, so finding a motherboard with a ULi chipset is pretty rare.

4. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

yeah Big B has it pretty good there, might switch a few around in the lower portion of that list : ), lol, but going Asus would pretty much be yer best bet

5. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

How about Foxconn??

6. Themoho94

Themoho94 Geek Trainee

i have always liked gigabyte technology

7. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

I thought foxconn got bought out by some one?

8. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

:confused:

9. yorkkev28

yorkkev28 HWF Minion

You seem to have missed out Asrock!!! ha ha ha ha ha.

I got an asrock mobo and its like the Lada Riva of mobo's, it wouldn't surprise me if it was built in russia either.

Its main features are:- it has screw mounts, and it has some pretty lights on it and........................erm! it works. (is that counted as a feature)

10. dmbjohn

dmbjohn Geek Trainee

i happen to have an asrock board now and it has been alright it has a via PT880 chipset on it. there is a P4 2.66 clocked to 2.8 on it I have tried going higher and i can but anything over 3 is unstable if it even works and its older, i'm getting tired of my graphics card it has cardboard for a heatsink (very useless and small haaa) but thats another issue, i am looking to upgrade my mother board CPU Vid Card and of corse ram but i do not want to do it all at once

i think i would like to go with a nvidia or Intel chip set, ATI has just annoyed me over the years as well as SiS

on side note i have a scythe ninja heatsink with the metal blacking plate on my motherboard it has a two sided foam tape on it for a support on the backside for the motherboard, how do i get it off with out damaging the motherboard? it was a very sticky tape. i would like to take my current mboard/cpu/vidcard /ram and put my stock heatsink on and sell it and keep my scythe for my new setup

11. dmbjohn

dmbjohn Geek Trainee

anyone know the story of abit and or evga?

12. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

What??

13. dmbjohn

dmbjohn Geek Trainee

quality wise where do they rank is what a i mean sorry

14. dmbjohn

dmbjohn Geek Trainee

this is the heat sink i have

Newegg.com - Once You Know, You Newegg

in the fourth picture there is a x shape plate with some 3m tape on it that is stuck to the back of my motherboard and i am wondering how to get it off safely

15. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Abit is fine, but they had some financial problems a few years ago, and were purchased. They now go by 'abit' (why, I have no clue, other than possibly the corporate image). I don't know for sure, but I've heard that Foxconn makes eVGA motherboards.

Foxconn is a pretty big OEM manufacturer, not just of motherboards, but the components (like the I/O ports on the motherboard), the iPod...they're no small potatoe, but they haven't aimed at the enthuisiast/DIY'er market until recently. I've never used them myself, but from what I've seen, they're fine.

ASrock is a spin-off from Asus, and is primarily a budget-oriented company. They seened to have some issues in production quality initially, but from what I've read, they're fine.

Biostar might be one company to keep an eye on. They seem like they might get into the enthusiast sector, but it's a little hard to tell right now. I know a few of the folks on HWF use them and like them.

16. dmbjohn

dmbjohn Geek Trainee

thanks big B as far as asrock goes i totaly agree i have one right now and ti has worked not as nice as an older asus i have in a diffrent machine but it is alright the connectors are a tad brittle the crack and break easily but a little glue fixes that

17. daadood

daadood Geek Trainee

Can I ask a question if not several questions.

1. what is best now Intel dua core E6400 or AMDX2 AM2 cpu.

2. what mother board should I go for
    i like Gigabyte I haven't had a problem since I bout a 32.00 mother board to install a petium III I bought years ago.
    Then I went for a AMD CPU which I been using ever since. but I hear and read alot on the INTEL due core 2 which seems to be real fast. I expec to use the Flightsim X which requires alot of CPU power.
    On the motherboard I have seen the famous 680i motherboard. but they are pricely high for me.

Even though I would like to upgrade to a faster rig. I like to maintain under 700 dollars budget.
    and all I need is a motherboard, memory cpu and video card of course I am running on AGP motherboard, so my present video card is no good for the new rig. I was considering to upgrade to a higher CPU on the present motherboard that I have which is the GA-KNS Ultra 939 with the new BIOS update which is had already it will take the ATHlon X2 64 dual core. What do you think. If anyone can asnwer. I would rather stay away from the Asus MSI and Soyo motherboard. I have had very bad experineces with those MB
    I could do with the ABIT , but I saw pricely for the Pentium CPU.

One more point I would like to see SLI on the motherboard in I have not seen many SLI MB to run with the dual Core petium E6400 and above.

18. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

yeah i love Gigabyte, have had zero issues with them, lol, other than there website can be weird. yeah the conroe is better, so you should go that route.

19. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

Big B, your a hero to many