Best operating system for my Desktop computer

Discussion in 'General Software' started by adammo, Jul 5, 2014.

1. adammo

adammo Geek Trainee

After Windows XP End of Support , i can't choose the best operating system for my Desktop computer, i need OS like Windows XP or faster it will be good and can run this programs : Google chrome , VLC , IDM , Xampp and Aptana studio 3 , this is my PC system information:
    System Manufacturer BIOSTAR Group
    System Model P4M890-M7 FE
    System Type X86-based PC
    Processor x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 10 GenuineIntel ~3000 Mhz
    BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG, 4/11/2008
    SMBIOS Version 2.4
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"
    Total Physical Memory 2,048.00 MB
    Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
    Page File Space 3.01 GB
    system info.JPG

2. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

I would say Windows 7 would run just fine, you might have to tweak it a little... Also Some form of Linux will also work.. You can still run XP, With a good Antivirus and some other software..

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Windows 7 or 8 will work.
    The con with Windows 7 is that support is supposed to end sometime in 2015.
    The con for Win 8 is the Modern UI (formerly Metro UI). I've only used it on my wife's laptop, and I have mixed feelings on this. The interface is designed more with a touch-screen in mind and unification across all platforms. However, it's not as good when coming to the traditional keyboard and mouse. One positive is that you can search without bringing up the search or run dialog boxes...just type and hit enter.

Depending on your needs, a distro of Linux, like Ubuntu or Mint, may work. If you're not gaming, it would be worth a shot. If you do want to game, SteamOS can work, but your system as of now doesn't meet the minimum requirements.

4. Kalya Garcia

Kalya Garcia Geek Trainee

I am using window 8 so i would like to suggest you to install window 8 on your pc.

5. Ted Gress

Ted Gress Geek Trainee

Most people don't like the interface/GUI for Windows 8. I would suggest Windows 7 or Ubuntu (easy to use Linux). Or you could do like I have, and that's putting Windows 7 and Ubuntu on,. That's the best solution.

6. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Here's my take. Windows 7 is probably the best default choice because of familiarity and should work with all your programs. Having said that, if you're comfortable with Linux, given the limited power of your system, a distro like Fedora, CentOS, possibly Mint or Ubuntu (for a few examples) might be worth serious consideration. As far as I can tell, your programs are available for Linux, so you're covered.