Best Raid0 filesystem?

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by wompshmack, Aug 23, 2007.

1. wompshmack

wompshmack Geek

I just got my 2 500gig drives, and I wanna set up my terrabyte sata raid.
    Me and my roommate are discussing what filesytem to use for it. It will be a mainly network drive for like, our media server. Now we have several machines we could slap this in. 1 running ubuntu, 1 running gentoo and one running xp.
    The filesystems we're considering are xfs reiserfs ntfs and ext3. Any tips?

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I'm thinking that EXT3 is a newer rehash of the EXT2 filesystem, and that's been a popular, no-frills filesystem.
    NTFS might get some knocks because it's Microsoft, but it's fine as far as large drives go.

I could be wrong but I thought ReiserFS could be a little finicky, and I don't remember anything about XFS. Hopefully one of the better-versed Linux guys will drop in.

3. wompshmack

wompshmack Geek

Well, after thorough error checking, then a few transfer-readback tests, and making sure every system on the network can use this setup, we went with NTFS on a windows XP machine, with the root of the raid shared, and an incoming folder with write access. Kinda like an ftp server. Seems to be running great, and the linux boxes particularly like it, as they no longer have to buffer (or at least very little) to play streaming media from me.

<EDIT>
    Oh, and as far as EXT3 its just EXT2 with journaling.
    *make ext2 filesystem*
    mke2fs /dev/hdxx
    *make ext3 filesystem*
    mke2fs -j /dev/hdxx