Big blue screen

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by fishman, Oct 18, 2006.

1. fishman

fishman Geek Trainee

After I play World of Warcraft for a while, my computer goes crazy. It just goes to a blue screen without any error message on it. Just blue. And it makes a annoying scratchy noise on my speakers. I have no idea what the problem is. I play much more intense programs(FEAR, Doom 3, Rome: Total War) on it and it does just fine. I haven't changed my hardware in almost two years so nothing itself has changed. I have no idea where I should post this as I have no clue what the problem is. Have any clue?

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

What's your system specs? Include the power supply make and model.
    What temperatures do you have for the CPU? ([google]Everest[/google] or [google]Speedfan[/google] will help if you don't know)
    Check your RAM with [google]Memtest86+[/google]

3. fishman

fishman Geek Trainee

2.8 Pentium 4 1MB Cache
    Radeon X700 Pro
    Asus P5Ad2-E Preimum
    1 gig of ram
    Windows XP Home

As for my PSU I have no clue. It came with the case. The temp on my CPU while running it is 63 C, not running it it's 52 or so. My GPU running it is 47

4. fishman

fishman Geek Trainee

Oh and after I run it for a longer time it jumps to 77

5. fishman

fishman Geek Trainee

Actually thinking about it I did change from a 9800 Pro to my X700 Pro. I layed off WoW for a year and did it during that time

6. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

It sounds like the CPU is getting overly hot, so you may want to seriously think about investing in a new cooler. Anything over 60*C makes a good case for better cooling. Also, using some compressed air to clean out any dust in there is a good move.

The PSU may be a factor, as the general rule of thumb is that PSU's in cases are bottom barrel units. Still, get that CPU cooling under control as those kind of temps aren't doing you any favors.

7. fishman

fishman Geek Trainee

What would you suggest? More fans? Or is there a better system out there?

8. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Well, here's the cheap-to-nothing things you can do first:
    -Clean out the system of dust
    -Check the CPU heatsink for secure installation and a working fan
    -Make sure the case fan airflow has the intake in the front and exhaust out the back
    -Tie up unused cabling and route the remaining cables so they do not obstruct airflow.

If those fail to improve the situation enough, then a better CPU cooler would do the job.
    This, this, or this would be some options...although the stock LGA775 cooler should be more than enough if you're running stock speeds.

I don't think it's a problem, but you may want to test your RAM with [google]Memtest86+[/google] for good measure. It's a handy tool to have anyway.

If that fails to remedy the situation, then let's talk power supplies.

9. fishman

fishman Geek Trainee

Sweet. Ill probably run by the store later tonight if cleaning it out doesn't work.

10. fishman

fishman Geek Trainee

Oh and that Zalman fan will fit my mobo right?

11. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Off-hand I don't know, but typically, larger coolers like that one have a compatibility listing on their website. Also, if you search around for reviews of your motherboard, I would think you'd see several different coolers used.

12. fishman

fishman Geek Trainee

Well I checked out that site and my is compatibile so I ordered it. I cleaned my case out and it made no different. So the fan should be here by tomorrow. But I was also wondering what is a good temp for the gpu? 60 like the processor?

13. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

GPU's have a higher threshold than CPUs, so your temps are fine. I don't know of any specific danger levels.

14. fishman

fishman Geek Trainee

Well I got that fan and now its running about 50-53 with the game and no shutdowns. So thanks for your help I appreciate it

15. fishman

fishman Geek Trainee

Well apparently it didn't fix the problem as I still go to the blue screen. But I am wondering if the CPU might be going bad as when I do play the game it's pretty sluggish. And my latency in in the green and it never did it before when I played it. So maybe the CPU is dying?

16. StimpE

StimpE lol, Internet!

If it's only sluggish in WoW then I doubt the CPU is 'dying'. Go into event viewer under control panel > administrative tools. Are there any errors which could hint to specific hardware problems?