Bios

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by donkey42, May 5, 2007.

1. donkey42

donkey42 plank

Every PC has a BIOS (Basic Input Output System), although it is slowly being replaced by EFI (Extensible Firmware Interface, EFI Home) although EFI uses a different interface for boot services and runtime services, some platform firmware must perform the functions BIOS uses for system configuration POST (Power On Self Test) and Setup.

the BIOS can be difficult to understand as every BIOS is specific to your system / mobo, the mobo manual will only give a brief description of each item and not describe what specifically each item is for, i recommend you visit your mobo manufacturers website for a more detailed explanation of what each item, although you can use you fav search engine on each item[ot]my fav is Google[/ot]

you may find that occasionally the BIOS needs resetting this is achieved by removing the lid from your system and look for a battery like this
    [​IMG]
    or laptops usually have a battery like this
    [​IMG]

if there is a small spring steel wire holding the battery in place then if your trying to reset the BIOS then you a best moving the jumper to reset the BIOS as the spring steel can very break easily

and the jumper will be near the battery

although you system may have a battery soldered onto you mobo[ot]all the battery does is power the clock (date & time) & keep the BIOS settings that have being changed[/ot]to clear the CMOS / BIOS you just need to either remove the battery for 10 seconds or locate 3 pins labeled CLR_CMOS move the small jumper from pin numbers 1 & 2 and place it to short out pin 2 to pin 3 & leave it their for 10 seconds, it looks like this
    [​IMG]

BTW: do NOT use metal tweezers to remove the battery as you will short out the battery and it will need replacing
    if your BIOS / CMOS battery is dead your system will tell you that the BIOS settings have changed, and it will usually give you 2 options
    • Del – to enter the BIOS
    • F1 – continue anyway
    BTW: if you continue anyway you should set the date & time of your systems clock each time you boot your system
    BTW: this is very very important: if you do not have an anti static wrist strap just touch an exposed metal part of your systems case ever minute or so

if the battery does need replacing you just need to purchase a replacement battery (CR2032 – Battery code) however if you battery is solder to your mobo you have two options
    • replace the mobo – can be expensive
    • learn how to solder – don't worry it isn't hard, just practice first on an old circuit board
    BTW: rarely you need to do a "long reset"
    this is exactly the same as a standard reset but you either leave the jumper on pin 2 & 3 for an hour of remove the battery for the same amount of time, the standard reset doesn't always work because very occasionally there is some residual charge left behind by the battery

thanks to RHochstenbach for his help and suggestions, regarding this thread

Sniper likes this.
  2. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

Nice article :).

I got a small addition:

If the battery is covered with a small bended metal clip, then use the jumper-way to clear it because the clip might break after lifting it up (happened to me once).

3. donkey42

donkey42 plank

:confused: what jumper-way ?

Edit: do you mean use a jumper to remove the metal clip

4. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

No the jumper to clear the CMOS
    [ot]I'm sorry for my bad grammar :D[/ot]

5. donkey42

donkey42 plank

oh right, i understand now[ot]local language discrepancies[/ot]

6. Remon1939

Remon1939 Guest

Good to read this kind of informations. I have seen this EFI thing but for me BIOS will always be alive :)