Bioshock!

Discussion in 'Video Gaming' started by WWR, Sep 12, 2007.

1. WWR

WWR Ultra Geek

After getting Bioshock today and playing it for a few hours straight I realised something which never even occurred to me at first. Bioshock is incredibly similar to System Shock, almost too similar to be a co-incidence. Albeit some things are altered to seem different, but look at the following comparisons:

Name: Both end in 'Shock', not much of a similarity but it's a start.
    Weaponry: All your guns have multiple ammo types and can be upgraded.
    Research: In SS you researched organs of enemies to gain enhanced damage against them, in Bioshock you take Research Photos of enemies and you unlock extra damage after enough photos.
    Hacking: Both exist as a mini-game within the main game.
    Implants: Limited number of slots to put these implants in, each giving you certain abilities, known as Plasmids in Bioshock.
    Enhancers: Certain items that permanently increase your in-game abilities, called Tonics in Bioshock.

The list goes on and on, I'm sure this can't just be a co-incidence, is Bioshock really System Shock 3 in disguise? Is it very heavily influenced? I don't know but I'd love to hear some opinions from you guys. :)

2. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

lol, actually yes it is, same creators and all that stuff.

3. WWR

WWR Ultra Geek

Really? That would explain a heck of a lot of similarities. I knew SS3 would be around someday. :D

4. Wouter

Wouter Big Geek

I did not play it, but reading previews and reviews, it also reminds me of Deus Ex a great deal! And yes, I believe there are some developers from Deus Ex in that also...

is it true that Bioshock is Vista-only? Every once in a while some dude on a forum will come along saying it's Vista-only, but often they are wrong... :p

So is it possible to play on Windows XP?

5. WWR

WWR Ultra Geek

Not sure off-hand as I've got the 360 version. It could be either.

6. Ferg

Ferg Manbearpig

I play on xp - you can only use the DX10 stuff on vista though as vista is the only os with DX10, look shweet on my xp box though!

7. WWR

WWR Ultra Geek

I double-checked to be sure, Bioshock will run on Win XP with Service Pack 2 as well as Vista, so either way there's no problem.

8. Ferg

Ferg Manbearpig

I just put vista ultimate 64bit on my computer again and can't even get bioshock to run - crashes out almost instantly! Totally wasted my afternoon....

Long live XP!

9. WWR

WWR Ultra Geek

Never have those problems on my 360.

Long live consoles! :p