Biostar M7VIT Pro booting VERY slow

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by DaMack13, Aug 23, 2003.

1. DaMack13

DaMack13 Geek Trainee

I just got this new Mobo and chip (Biostar M7VIP Pro w/Athlon XP 2600 333FSB, Kingston PC2700/333Mhz-512MB DDR RAM), and the first time I booted it up, I saw the Biostar logo, then went to POST and very slowly showed the CPU type as Athlon XP 2600 and the full 512 MB RAM, then the attached drives. It somewhat seemed to pause at that point. After waiting about a minute (or 2), I pressed DEL to get into CMOS (after 5 min!). I currently have a Diamond S3 Savage 4 Pro 32 MB AGP 4x vid card. Video seems to work ok...have even tried it with my Radeon 7500 64 MB card (both AGP 4x, this board supports up to 8x).

In all instances it eventually gets to this "hardware Monitor” screen and starts flashing on the screen, as if the screen is turning on and off. There is another message that says ‘Updating ESCD…Success’. Another instance was with the Radeon Vid card to see if there was a hardware conflict with the older card. Same thing.

I was expecting this to scream all the way through a 30 min install of XP Pro, but even in CMOS screens, it seems to lag or be sluggish in between selections. I have also tried removing all devices, clearing CMOS, swapped Vid cards, but it‘s still VERY slow.

After fiddling around with this till midnight last night, I found that the PC will boot up to floppy or HDD, after waiting at least 5 min (way too long). This just doesn't seem right to wait this long though. The screen stopped flashing after it started to boot from HDD or floppy, so I'm at a loss here. Any help here is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    Jo
    :confused:

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Do you have an IDE or SCSI PCI card on that board? If so, take it out and see if it'll boot up quicker. The other thing you might check into is updating the BIOS to the latest.

3. DaMack13

DaMack13 Geek Trainee

Thanks Big E, I don't have any devices attached to it at all other than the HDD, floppy, CD drive and video. Sound and LAN are on board. The CPU temp runs at about 45c-51c, which is not bad from the research I have done recently. I'll try to update the BIOS to see what happens.

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

No prob. It's Big B, by the way. The font color makes it hard to see that. In case you didn't know, all BIOS's are cumulative, so whatever BIOS you get will have any fixes from the previous one.