bittorrent client?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by TheTyger, Dec 18, 2005.

1. TheTyger

TheTyger Geek Trainee

I'm, looking for a good, clean, stable, low memory torrent client. I used to use azureus, but the memory it takes became too much. now im using (mu)torrent, but it makes my computer bluescreen when i play games that use directx. Any suggestions for what there is that have a decent number of features, but still wont drain my ram?

2. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

Go for the original and best! BT!!

Light, small, reliable and has everything you need!

3. Impotence

Impotence May the source be with u!

How much RAM do you have? i xcant imagine a bt client using tens of megabytes of memory!

Also, are your trying to play games WHILE your dl torrents? for online gaming i generally find this is a bad idear as my upstream rate (ADSL) cant cope with sharing files + me playing CS (Counter strike).

4. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

bittornado

5. Addis

Addis The King

bittornado is a light client, although it does have some problems with me.

6. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

Gotta go with Addis and NF for a very clean client with high speeds go with Bit Tornado. However if you looking for a multiple downloads management its BitComet all the way. Full functionality, a fraction of the memory used by azureus and dang good speeds for clients of its type.

7. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

BitComet is basically BitTornado but more advanced in features!
    I use Shareaza, although it's uses 12MB's or so of memory, it's very customisable.

8. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

I know! Thats whats so great about it. Also Shareaza seems to cause me problems I get very low average speeds with it no higher than say 10/20kb/s whereas with bit tornado average about 250kb/s and bit comet about 200kb/s.

9. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

I use Azureus as it can talk to Tor, Onion, and various other fastrack and annonymous P2P channels in addition to just bittorrent. It's fast, stable, regularly updated, and has plenty of features. Thanks to an intuitive plugin system, it can also have many more features than the myriad it provides out-of-the-box. I have heard that the GUI can be a little sluggish in Windows, but I cannot confirm this as I use Linux myself.

10. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

Yes, Azureus, using Java, is a bit on the slugish side (in windows).
    It is however, very easy to use and to set-up.
    It has good connectivity and speed. The reason I like Bittorrent is that first, it came already packeged with the distro, and also it lacks any bells and whistles.

I never had a chance to try other but I intend to.....

[ot]when I installed BT it created a 'Bittorrent' entry in Shorewall. I am assuming that option is there to include any torrent client. Is that correct?[/ot]

11. Anti-Trend

[ot]Yes, most bittorrent clients use port 6881 for transfers but this is variable and most clients have the option of specifying any port of your choosing.[/ot]

12. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

Jeez that an understatement. Windows boxes usually come near to standstill when azureus is open.

13. Anti-Trend

Really? Wow, it runs great in Linux. I can have a bunch of connections going, all kinds of plugins, and have the thing running in the systray as I play 3D games with no problems. In fact, I can't even tell it's running. Java isn't the fastest programming language on any platform, but I didn't think it would run that much poorer in Windows. I'll keep that in mind before recommending it to Windows clients in the future.

14. Addis

Addis The King

Agreed, Azureus take lots of RAM in windows, not tried the linux one though.

Personally for windows, I prefer bitcomet, its C++ and fast. Feature packed and runs quietly.

15. Anti-Trend

Bitcomet is unfortunately banned from many torrents these days due to the fact that it ignores certain standards in the torrent specifications. But I remember using a client called Shadow Experimental back in my Windows days that was quite good for its time. Now it's called BitTornado, but I haven't used it in a long time so YMMV.

16. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

I have to say that when I mentioned slugish I did not think that for some people it actualy hindered the smooth running of windows. I never encountered such problems myself. It always ran fine. I can't remember what I was doing at the time but it nevr slowed my machine that much. :confused:

I am going to try Bittornado tonight and see how it goes....

17. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

Yeh Bit Tornado is great, but its not a whole torrent manager if you know what I mean.

18. Addis

Addis The King

Maybe it was just me, but Bittornado's stability left a lot to be desired on all windows pcs that I ran it on.

19. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

Wow really. Ive only used it on two pcs but the speed is stagering and its been perfectly stable :S

20. StimpE

StimpE lol, Internet!

You're all on crack. uTorrent. nuff said.