Bluescreening whenever I try and do anything with DX

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by mattireland, Apr 29, 2008.

1. mattireland

mattireland Geek Trainee

Hi,

For some time now, I've had this problem with my graphics card where whenever I try and do anything that involves Direct X or any heavy graphics (e.g. game programming), the computer bluescreens. I'm pretty sure it's not driver-related.

More recently, I've noticed the fan spins really, really slowly at times and makes this funny noise (I've got a clear sided Thermaltake case).

I haven't overclocked this card - it's an NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT. When I first put it in, I forgot to plug in the 12V PCI power but the computer wouldn't boot and it seemed fine when I plugged it in. Could this be part of the problem.

Any suggestions? Could it be faulty hardware? Thanks very much!

Matt. Ireland

2. edijs

edijs Programmer

firstly, what OS are you on?

did you try and run the dxdiag DirectX and DirectDraw video tests? i'm asking because you denoted that you get the problems when doing some heavy stuff.

I'd say you should get another nvidia card and see wether it's HW releated. also, maybe you have some crap in your BIOS enabled (like the "FastWrites" or something option).

what do the VGA temperatures say?

3. mattireland

mattireland Geek Trainee

Hi,

Yes, I probably should have posted OS and results of dxdiag tests. Sorry about that.

I'm running Windows XP. DirectDraw test is fine but DirectX results in a bluescreen.

Sorry, I'll get back to you on the temps. I've been trying all evening to find a program that will accurately measure them.

Thanks again very much,

Matt. Ireland

4. edijs

edijs Programmer

i use atitool for my VGA and SpeedFan for other measuring

5. mattireland

mattireland Geek Trainee

Thanks very much for that - it's really helpful.

I'm running at 41C no load and 41/42C with DirectDraw test. The fan seems to working OK at the moment but I'll give it another go when the fan doesn't seem to be working as well.

Temperatures went up to 62C when I clicked on find max core on ATITool and the screen went all funny for the forty mins that I left it running.

Using ATITool, would reducing the sliders help me at all? I'll give it a go and see but I'm not totally sure what they do. EDIT: no, didn't solve the problem.

Thanks very much again,

Matt. I

EDIT: The fan't just started going round really slowly (transparent case so can see) and temps have risen to around 61C. Thanks!

6. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Those temps seem fine. The 8 series GeForce line does get a bit on the toasty side.

Do you have the latest Forceware drivers installed?

What does the BSoD say on it?

The sliders on ATi Tool are probably the GPU and Memory clock controls.

7. mattireland

mattireland Geek Trainee

Thanks. Yes, I think I have the latest forceware drivers but I've downloaded again just to make sure. I also ran the driver test at DriverAgent.com DriverAgent Scan Results just to make sure. It says I'm pretty much fine although I'm not sure how accurate it is?

I'll just try and trigger the BSoD now.