Boot message - warnings

Discussion in 'Linux, BSD and Other OS's' started by sabashuali, Mar 16, 2009.

1. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

Hi

Since the last update (Sidux 2.6.28-7.slh.6-sidux-686) I am getting some worrying messages during boot and shutdown. Something about all configuration files must have .conf at the end.... or something similar and something about ignoring during future updates. It goes out too quickly and when I run dmesg these messages are not there...

How can I get the exact output of the boot time messages? So I can catch those warnings?

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Try /var/log/boot or /var/log/messages for the logs you're looking for. :)

3. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

Thanks AT...

Not on my Laptop this morning so cannot check but will do later.
    Something (which I will find out eventually) is complaining that all config files in /etc/modprobe.d/ should have .conf on the end. It continues to point at files like blacklist, which I thought does not have a .conf extension and pnp-hotplug which I am not really familliar with...

Strange... in the all the time I have been using Linux I never saw such messages...

More laters..... ;)

4. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

RTFM!!!

How many times? Hehe.... :doh:

The issue is down to the latest update of the module-init-tools.
    The updates version reckons that all files in /etc/modprobe.d should end with .conf

If you are using Sidux and have this issue you can read more here

The general theme seems to be - DO NOT DO ANYTHING UNTIL A FIX IS PROVIDED!!!

Then again if you are using Sidux, you are likely to know this already..... unless you are as impatient as me - :chk:

5. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Yeah, sid is in a constant state of transition, so sometimes things break. But keep in mind that Ubuntu *STABLE* is build from sid, so it's often caught in the barren land between Debian's releases. I've ran into plenty of transitional bugs with Ubuntu, and nobody seems to mind. :doh: I still say you're better off with sid; at least it's constantly moving forward and not stabalizing on broken transitional periods!

6. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

What I found funny was that although the bug is not detrimental to the normal running of the system, many seasoned Sidux users were up-in-arm about it....

Calm down boys..... ;)