Broadband too slow

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by JAY, Jul 1, 2006.

1. JAY

JAY sCoRpiOn

im using broadband from unwired.it does not have any signal even if i move it to the window side or anywhere.is there any settings which i can alter to speed up my internet?

2. donkey42

donkey42 plank

do you connect with a wireless router ?
    if so you could get a larger antenna like this or an extender like this, for info about the problem, or what you want to do would be helpful

3. Addis

Addis The King

The strength of your wireless signal is nothing to do with your internet speeds.

If you're suffering a total loss of signal and web sites will not respond at all then you need to find a place where you can place the router so that there is minimal interference. thick walls, metal objects and mirrors can affect the signal.

If your broadband internet is too slow, then either switch ISP or buy a faster connection.

4. JAY

JAY sCoRpiOn

im not using a wireless router.its just an unwired modem.it only uses 2 cables.one is the power supply and the other is the ethernet cable.when i take the modem outside the house,its signal is quite good..but hey im not taking my pc outside the house.when in my room,there is no signal but it still connects to the internet.its speed is still very slow..id say just about as dial-up..n nope i cant afford a faster connection..so what should i do to get some signal on my modem? (in my room ie)

5. roy92

roy92 CSS HAXOR

you may have used up your download/upload bandwidth. check your account with your isp and see if it's used up.

6. JAY

JAY sCoRpiOn

i have just started with this plan.i can download 1000mb/month. actually i started on saturday(yesterday)..

7. thoonie

thoonie hmmm....

hmmm, ive checked unwired's website. (not sure if im looking on the right one, please correct me if im wrong)

notice something on their packages..???
    Switch On 64/32 200MB $15.95
    Double Up 128/64 200MB $19.95
    Step Up 256/64 300MB $29.95
    Kick Start 256/64 600MB $34.95
    Break Free 256/64 2GB $39.95
    Break Free 512/128 2GB $54.95
    Unleashed 256/64 12GB $64.95
    Unleashed 512/128 12GB $89.95
    Unleashed 1024/256 12GB $119.95

their speeds are slow. Which package are you on???

8. JAY

JAY sCoRpiOn

thanks for searching dude,but im outside australia.im in Fiji.im using a plan
    128/64 1000MB/month $49.95

9. roy92

roy92 CSS HAXOR

have you been downloading? before you went to an exotic island?:cool:

10. JAY

JAY sCoRpiOn

yeah,i can download...but the signal is quite weak..there are 2 indicators on the modem..one is the signal n the other is the quality..
    the signal gets to only about 2 bars out of 8..
    the quality gets to 4 or 5 bars out of 8..

is there some way to increase its signal?

11. roy92

roy92 CSS HAXOR

unfortunately no. where u are right now has very low signal, you can't change that unless unwired puts more effort in your area. the signal you're getting is probably from a neighbouring area that is supported by unwired, but your town isn't. so i dont think your area is supported at all by unwired.

12. JAY

JAY sCoRpiOn

well i asked the personnel at unwired n they said that my area was supported...they also told me that i can get an internal booster..its an antenna that'll solve the signal problem..but rite now they'r out of stock so i cant get that rite now..n my area is supported as i told earlier coz when i take my modem outside the house then theres signal.. its about 5 bars out of 8..is there some way i can plant my modem outside the house?what will i need exactly?

13. roy92

roy92 CSS HAXOR

how is it connected to your computer? via ethernet or usb? if it is ethernet, you can buy a cable as long as 100m long. one question, when it's outside, does it solve the speed problems?

14. JAY

JAY sCoRpiOn

it uses ethernet cable and one other power cable..i did get my pc outside the house n used the modem..n it did receive proper signal and id say the speed was fairly fast..considering my location

15. roy92

roy92 CSS HAXOR

if that's the case, then go ahead and buy an ethernet cable long enough for it to reach outside your house, also, make sure it isn't exposed to natural occurences like rain, thunderstorms etc. maybe beside a window should be fine. If all you want is the better signal, then go ahead and execute this setup.