Broken PSU replaced but still broken PC.

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by thhancock3, Sep 4, 2006.

1. thhancock3

thhancock3 Geek Trainee

Hello,

I've recently sent my computer to the computer repair shop and collected it again after they said to replace the power supply. This I did - the exact same model from dell costing £100 - and I'm still having the exact same problem as before.

i.e:

I press the ON button and the little light turns orange but stays orange when it should be green). The fan (I think the main CPU one) speeds up and gets increasingly faster and louder. nothing else happens - screen is completely blank. It did used to occasionally boot up but then crash after about 5 mins of use - the screen would just freeze and nothing would work except the off button. I havn't managed a succesfull boot however even with the new PSU installed so something is still definately wrong.

What I basically want to know is what else could have happened to my computer. I must admit that I did try a lot to try to get it to boot before I realised that the PSU was broken - perhaps destroying other parts of the computer. What can a broken PSU do to a computer and is it expensive. Also would it be cheaper to send the computer to Dell to be repaired rather than to the local repair shop. The only reason I think it might be is that the PC repair man said that to order a new power supply would cost about £130, I bought it myself from Dell for just £100 - expensive I know but its the only way to safely replace a Dell PSU.

I need as much help as I can get - and fast as I would like it repaired
    before i start my A-levels.

Thank you very much for reading - please reply.

From Tim

2. izzy007

izzy007 Big Geek

OH MY DAYZ, wat a bulshit chatting bastard that matey at the pc repair shop must have been. i mean a descent psu and i mean DESCENT psu can be picked up for around 50 pounds which wud be enough to power any standard mid-high end system.

3. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

Here are couple of question I would like to ask you....
    1. Specification of your computer.
    2. Do you get beeps or anything when you start your computer?
    3. Do you get Blue Screen of Death as well? Any error which your computer has displayed you yet?
    4. I think that there is a memory error in your coputer. Can you run [link=http://memtest86.com]Memory Test V3.2[/link] overnight and see if you come across any error.

Both of them are expensive ways....The only cheaper way is you. Its also fun and experience dealing with problems coz that saves more money in the long run for future problems ;)

[ot]
    Thats why I never bought a dells PSU for my Dimension coz it's very expensive.[/ot]

4. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

Looks like the power supply damaged the computer, proberbly the motherboard. OMG £100 for a Dell psu, that guy at the shop ripped you off big time unless the PSU is some sort of 600W thing lol.