Broken screen on a Gateway P-6860fx

Discussion in 'Mobile Technology' started by alex2579, Jan 3, 2009.

1. alex2579

alex2579 Geek Trainee

Hi,

So if anyone ever tries to convince you that a friends large metal button on their jacket, applied with force of a jacket being put on carelessly won't crack a computer screen, tell them it indeed well.

The placement of the crack isn't bad(Bottom towards the left side) but of course the crack doesn't just affect that area, but kind of throws everything off a bit. I'm using it right now and can see fine, but I definitely can't keep this permanently. Does anyone know if this is a problem fixable on my own? I have never replaced a screen before, though it wouldn't be the first time I took apart a laptop. When I get to school, Ill asked our ITS if they could do the fixing, in which case I still would need the parts. How much should the screen cost and if a new LCD all I need? I'm in the dark here, and would love to know what everyone knows.

Thanks,
    Alex

2. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

hi alex2579

sorry about the late reply.

do you mean the LCD screen is damaged (not the outer frame)? I think replacing it would be quite difficult and on the expensive side, much better option to opt for a new one?

3. alex2579

alex2579 Geek Trainee

hi,

I just replaced my screen. It took about 30 min and thats with me not having done it before. Screen was about 120 on eBay, and the only tool needed was a screwdriver.

4. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

cool, thanks for the update.