BSOD on windows virgin boot.

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by papa m, Jan 13, 2007.

1. papa m

papa m Geek Trainee

Hello everyone,

I recently built a computer;

Abit AB9 iP965
    C2D E6400
    Coolermaster Real Power 550W SLI
    2GB DDR2 5300/5400 RAM
    Gefore 7600GT 256MB DDR3 PCI-E
    Pioneer drive.
    And the area I think my problem is - 2 x Seagate 80GB Barracuda SATAII 7200rpm 8MB Cache

So I installed everything the BIOS is fine, and the optical is reading everything, the windows setup appears and goes through the loading procedure (kernal debugger.... etc, etc) then after that it says windows is preparing to setup and I get the BSOD.

It says the normal things BSOD's say, but ill write out what steps it told me too follow and the technical infomation.

I know theres no viruses as this is my first ever boot, so it must the hardware config I guess.

I've connected the 2 SATAII drives to my power supply, and connected the SATAII cables from my 2 drives into SATA1 and SATA2 headers on the motherboard.

I read that SATAII doesn't need any master/slave configuration, so there none of that, they have just been pluged into the motherboard, no RAID no nothing. Is there somthing else I should do? There is an option before the windows loader starts to installed a 3rd party RAID controller or somthing of the sort.

The technicle infomation on the BSOD is;

***STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF78D2524,0xC0000034,0x00000000,0x00000000)

I tryed to explain as thourghly as I could.

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to offer.

btw, this isn't papa m, im junior m :chk: -- my first build too, just trying to help him out.

2. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

Just a quick note and only because I had loads of BSOD's lately, due to what I think is a faulty RAID controller, try and install an IDE drive without the SATA drives. I know this is not directly related to your problem. Just an avenue to explore in way of trouble shooting.....

Good luck!

3. papa m

papa m Geek Trainee

I have only got the SATA II drives, the IDE optical drive works nicely.

I asked this question in another forum I (junior m) visit, and I got this anwser.

I asumed you did this when you loaded windows, I'm going to give this a shot, it seems to make sense, right?

Thanks for your reply, sabashuali. I don't mean to be rude using that quote I was just trying to find an answer quickly, the crinkely is getting annoyed. :chk:

4. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

I assumed you did that already and that despite that you got the BSOD.
    I have done it many times before so no, this is not the cause for my BSOD's.

Hope it works for you.... :)

5. Addis

Addis The King

Windows XP doesn't have SATA drivers on its own, so you need to give it the driver disk at Windows setup. Press F6 and it should be ok from there.

6. papa m

papa m Geek Trainee

Thanks for the replys,

I don't get an option to hit F6, a black screen comes up before the windows loader starts and then a load of white writting flashes down. When thats finished it says insert system CD and press enter, it will only accept the windows CD, i tryed putting my Abit one in put when I press enter it just ask me again to put the system CD in...

Is there a specific place I press F4? Sorry it's taking a little time to understand, I'm sure it's quite simple. I am getting there though! :eek:

7. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

8. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Partially true. If a storage controller is set in RAID mode, then, yes, you do need drivers for a SATA controller. However, if it's set in a non-RAID mode, then the drivers are unnecessary.