Caddy HD one partition unreadable after rebuild

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by DBenz, Dec 28, 2007.

1. DBenz

DBenz Geek Trainee

Hi, I have videos stored on removeable caddies with ATA HDs, created on a dual boot PC, the partition created with Partition Magic 8 when booted into the Win2K side of things. I was running daily Win XP home SP1 and never had a problem with my caddies. I have done a PC rebuild going over to using internal SATA HDs and SP2 loaded on before any progs. I now come to use a ATA caddy and both partitions say RAW as opposed to NTFS. After windows bootup saw chkdsk operate on one if not both of the partitions one is now reading as NTFS , I can now see its contents :) , the other refuses to be seen however :eek: , message in explorer says J is not accessible, the file or directory is corrupted and unreadable. Months of work here and all the caddy did was sit in a safe cupboard during the rebuild.
    Very worrying. Another had the same error on one partition, thats now readable again perhaps due to chkdsk fixing something. Why though have these caddies displayed such after working fine as NTFS with other internal ATA HDs prior to the rebuild. Pre rebuild it was attached via ribbon to a RAID pci card (not running raid but just giving another IDE socket as I have three opticals running on those on the M'Bd). It now is on the end of a ribbon as slave, then is an optical DVD/CDreader/writer and this goes onto IDE socket on Mbd. Those that were cable select were stopping the optical from being seen so now they are set to slave.
    How can I get that partition to show its contents again ? Months of work there.
    DBenz