Can a laptop use a flatscreen or crt monitor ?

Discussion in 'Mobile Technology' started by DBenz, Feb 16, 2008.

1. DBenz

DBenz Geek Trainee

Hi,
    Can a laptop be plugged into a standalone monitor, the type purchased for desktop or tower PC's ? Of the current flat screen variety and also deep back CRT type ? I ask for a few reasons. A friend of mine prefers viewing monitors for quality of picture, I do also. I wish to find him a dirt cheap laptop, one that takes a mouse, and if its screen is a duffer then that should bring the price down ! He wont be carrying it anywhere, simply using it like a desktop, but he hasnt room for a desktop or tower. The laptop can be stuffed onto the bookrack, or taken indoors from the workshop when cold and damp out there ! We cant both study the screen on a laptop at once as angle off gives peculiar effects.
    I also could do with one myself. Mine I might wish to plug into my CRT screen, or a spare flatscreen at work.

I doubt they come with a suitable connector, but some clever techie might manage it.

Another thought for cheap is get two, one with dead screen, another dead except for screen ! Mate the two together via the cable ?

Cheers

DBenz

2. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Yes, just as long as it has the connection on the back..

3. DBenz

DBenz Geek Trainee

Ghostman, thanks for the reply. Thats really good to know. Which models or makes would be a good starting point to search for ?...is this a recent addition to them ?
    Ghostman...or anyone ?
    Whats it known as in the spec ?

Cheers
    DBenz

4. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

The only problem with buying a laptop/ notebook with a bad screen is that you won't know for sure that is the problem..... It also could have a bad motherboard.. But , that is your call.. Buying older monitors, It is a good idea too stick with major brand names.... Like Dell / Compaq / HP and so on.. I would get a 17'' or 19 ''....