Can i make my pc more silent by using more pwr. supply?

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by ggolub, Apr 5, 2009.

1. ggolub

ggolub Geek Trainee

Hi folks
    I am new to this forum.
    I have next problem. I use an old dell dimension 4700 pc which was always so loud. Fan started running craizy soon after I start using pc. In a summer time even more.
    I was wondering if I could improve this situation if i replace power supply with more powerfull power supply. Is that a good idea?
    Will i run into size or electricity compatibility issues or they are all the same?
    At this time I have to open my balcony door if i want fan not to run a lot and loud.

Thank you, Gene.

2. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

3. ggolub

ggolub Geek Trainee

Hi Bobby
    Thank you for respond. I sure know which one: there is a big tube going from cpu to outbound flow pc grill. This tube covers cpu grill almoust completely leaving just 1 side open I guess for air inflow.
    Your link looks great. Will it be enough to change just a fan? It looks like it's 650watt. I do not think my power supply powerfull enough. I am unfortunately not near this pc so I can't check. But regular Dell power supply I think much less powerfull.
    Regards, Gene.

4. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

you can change your fan no problem, with a 650w psu you can run loads of fans without a problem. so just get that noisy fan changed and your all good. only time you really want to consider a psu upgrade is when your adding more and more hardware e.g. graphics cards because the high end cards do take alot of power. but a fan won't use anythin near a graphics card power consumption.

5. ggolub

ggolub Geek Trainee

Hi, I am not sure if i expressed myself. I said that fan which link you sent is 600W (not 650), but my power supply is regular - not sure what.
    So i want to confirm again: can i go forward and use 600W fan?
    Can i use even more powerfull?
    Thank you, Gene.

6. JAY

JAY sCoRpiOn

Hey dude. That is a 600watt Power Supply Unit which you are referring to. Its picture is at the bottom with a price of $73.99

What you may want to check & change is just the case fan. The main picture which has a glassy fan. It requires only 2.4w as in the description.

Ok, what you need to figure out is what is actually making the noise??
    Is it the case fans? Or..
    Is it the Power Supply Unit (PSU) ?

If its the PSU, then do change it with a good one. I prefer OCZ & Thermaltake with atleast 600w. You can also read Big B's article on PSU

http://www.hardwareforums.com/power-supply-sticky-5218/