can it install

Discussion in 'Linux, BSD and Other OS's' started by izzy007, Oct 21, 2006.

1. izzy007

izzy007 Big Geek

ive downloaded the Knoppix cd and unfortunately it a LIVE CD. is there a way to install it on the Hard drive

2. Addis

Addis The King

Knoppix is a live distro, if you want to install a Linux distro, then get something like Debian, Ubuntu, Mandriva (One version is live/installer on a single disc).

3. zeus

zeus out of date

4. Milanche

Milanche Geek

I think this should do it>

Code:
    sudo knoppix-installer

5. donkey42

donkey42 plank

i did exactly the same with knoppix, it is possible to run knoppix from HDD, but it's not fun (yet, cos i don't know how to do it, stick with a Live / Installer distro, another to add to those distro's Addis suggested, PCLinuxOS it's very reminisent of Mandriva

yep,that'd start installer alright

6. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Knoppix is basically a live-only version of Debian, which is configured for usage as a tool. It's not really meant to be a primary OS -- it doesn't even use font anti-aliasing. If you want to install Knoppix, just run the real Debian. In that case I'd recommend the testing build, "Etch" since the stable version, "Sarge", would be a bit uncomfortable for desktop usage since the packages are so old. Alternately, the many flavors of Ubuntu are Debian derivatives which would also fill the niche.

7. Milanche

Milanche Geek

Ubuntu Rulez!!! Take Ubuntu!!!

8. izzy007

izzy007 Big Geek

tried kubuntu and cant really find any files that are exe to install. if i put it on a cd and boot it, then it shud start installer right.

9. zeus

zeus out of date

There should be a link on the desktop called "Install" to install Ubuntu.

Ive never actually got it to install (it crashes everytime) but its there none the less.

10. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Kubuntu was easy to install, the version I have you boot from the live CD and like zeus said there's an icon on the desktop to install Kubuntu - go through some easy to understand steps and Kubuntu will install, I'd say go with Kubuntu as KDE is much nicer than Gnome, but that's my personal opinion though.

11. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

.EXE files are exlusive to Windows. They do not work in Linux unless you run a Windows emulator such as WINE

12. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

The '.exe' extension is the DOS way of saying "this file is an executable binary". In Linux, there is no such limitation. A file needn't have an extension at all in order to be executable.