can this be done

Discussion in 'Linux, BSD and Other OS's' started by jester45, Aug 30, 2006.

1. jester45

jester45 Big Geek wanna be

would someone happen to know or can find a linux distro that you install from in windows like make a partion and drag the files over then preso done??

i know it is probly realy hard to make it this way but it would be so much easyer if you have 2 dives just download a folder with all the linux stuff in it then drag and drop it in then your down and just unplug the drive with windows or do a bootmaneger to boot from the 2nd drive

or possbly have a program that runs on windows that will make a new partion(becuase i think linux cant use windows stuff) then convert all the files from a windows file system to a linux one

im just wondering this i dont care if the distro is mainstream or not i would realy like to use this with xubuntu but i dont think anyone is gonna find anything with that

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

What you need to do is:

1. Backup any existing data which you want to keep (on a fileserver, extra HDD, DVDs, CDs, whatever).
    2. Repartition your HDD. If you want to dual-boot, make a blank partition for Windows also, and install Windows first.
    3. Install your Linux OS.
    4. Restore your data from backup.

3. kenji san

kenji san Geek Trainee

Damn Small Linux can boot from within windows. I'm not sure if it can install from there though. DSL is based on debian, so you know its good.

4. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

Why not just run Linux in VMware?

5. jester45

yea i was looking at DSL but there is alot of stuff to do and i was getting confused but guess i could give it a try

and antitrend im not sure what your saying but i got 2 drives and one has windows and the other has part os it partioned for extra windows storeage the rest is blank the 2nd drive has 7gb blank and i was gonna use that at least for a little bit

6. jester45

ok i got a DSL lice cd going and it looks very nice i think i like this one over xubuntu becuase i can say damn small linux much easy and it has that little thing in hte upper right corner but can anyone help on installing it i dont think it can reconise my drive

7. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

There's not much to DSL, as it's not intended to be used as a primary OS; it's meant to be used as a live distro.

DSL is based on Debian Linux. If you want to install DSL, the creators recommend you just use Debian instead -- they mantion that it's a better OS anyway (and I agree!)

8. jester45

i just installed it