Can you over-over-clock hardware?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Waffle, Apr 19, 2004.

1. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

I have never overclocked anything yet, but I was wondering if it's possible to over clock say a CPU so much that it blows? I mean, physically, become useless, or will it just not let you boot up? Thanks.

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

It's possible, but you're most likely for the CPU to be OC'd too high and the system not boot up. This is fixable by resetting CMOS.
    Now, you can off your CPU if you overvolt too high and use insufficient cooling. For the P4, it's been found that you don't want to go over 1.7V or the CPU has a much greater chance of kicking the bucket.

3. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

Ok, thanks. GFX the same, roughly, cept easier to blow up, right?

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Overclocking is all about luck.

When it comes to overclocking, you take it in steps. Sure, certain steppings are more likely to hit xGHz than others, but there's no guarantee of any speed faster than what's been marked as. If you do it in steps, you'll run into instability and/or inability to get into Windows or a non-booting system long before you fry something.

Without voltage mods (v mods) and/or flashing the video card's BIOS in some cases, you can't change the voltage here. RAMsinks only help disappate heat. While you may get an extra MHz or two out of adding RAMsinks to the RAM, I've not had any experience that shows this really works. I dunno if people are posting BS or if they're just lucky, but even then, they're not talking about too many more MHz.

Overclocking can be done w/o harm if you don't try and OC the bejesus outta it. I.e.: trying to OC a 2.4GHz P4 to 4.8GHz ain't happenin...at least not without the aid of extreme cooling methods like liquid nitrogen, or refridgeration plus a major voltage mod.

5. DwnSthGaBoyz

DwnSthGaBoyz Geek Trainee

wouldnt that be sweet then to double the performance, youd have to have it in a damn freezer to keep that from overloading

6. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

If only women were like CPU's, you can over clock them to make them faster, yes hotter at the same time ;)

7. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

I've always thought of women as cars.. (sorry all female readers ;) )

Y'see, a good car has nice bodywork, feels good when you get in it, and hey presto, insert the key, and you get a result.

Now compare that to a woman and see what I mean....:D

8. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

i believe what u meant to say was: "feels good when you ride it"

9. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

Just the fact that you know what overclocking is means that you'll never have a woman in your life.

Sorry you had to learn it that way :p

10. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

11. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

Oh yeah that's it.

:chk: