Can't delete file?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Sniper, Oct 17, 2002.

1. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

ok I installed Soldier Of Fortune II a while back, I uninstall it recently and I have a file called "EaxMan.dl" in the Soldier Of Fortune II - Double Helix folder. I have tried to delete it through DOS without any luck, it says "Cant' read from the source" or something similar!

any help? thanks :rolleyes: :cool:

2. syngod

syngod Moderator

Try restarting if you haven't already, and do a run > cmd > del c:\directory\directory\filename.

In the past if I haven't been able to get rid of something through the command line a restart with trying right after it boots usually does the trick.

If not try disabling your sound card then try deleting it, it could be that it's in use by your sound card although I doubt it since it isn't giving you a file is in use error.

3. RZA

RZA l337 CounterStriker

I have a same sort of problem(have it for 1 mounth now it didnt do anything so i just left it) on my E: drive the folder Red Faction what ever I do it always gives me the msg cannot read from the source file or drive(also in dos :( )
    Whats verry strange is when I put a file init I doesnt move to it no it renames the file I copied to red faction without the extension like exe,txt

I thought it had something to do with my harddisk being broke or something or a virus but doesnt seem like it

Its not really a problem but if it can be solved its better then now

4. Sniper

tried that syngod, no luck, same prob as RZA then, if you find a solution let me know :) :D

5. syngod

syngod Moderator

Do you have Nero installed?

If so try deleting it through it's file manager, I've seen it be able to take out a few files MS's explorer doesn't want to get rid of.

The only other solution I can see is try to grab something like Sys Internals Process Explorer and see if you can take it out with it.

6. Sniper

nope, no luck! tried both what you suggested :( thanks anyway :rolleyes:

the only thing I can think of is to format/re-create the partion the file is own.

7. syngod

syngod Moderator

Are you able to rename the file?

8. Sniper

can't do anything to do it!

I have PC Cillin Virus Program installed, in virus properties section it says "The file does not exist or requires higher privileges to see the virus log"

what could be the problem? I assume that windows can't find the file on disk since it does not exist! when I click on properties it says "0" "0" for file size and file size on disk.

9. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Logged in as Admin? You might not have rights to everything unless you're admin or have admin privileges.
    Also, ya might try going into safe mode and deleting it. I've had to delete stuff that way once or twice.

10. Sniper

I am the one and only admin Big B :D will try doing it in safe mode when I have to restart my computer, don't know when thats gona be though :rolleyes: