Can't fix mbr in XP Pro after running...

Discussion in 'Windows OS's' started by brush3287, Nov 9, 2007.

1. brush3287

brush3287 Geek Trainee

Paragon Software's Total Defrag 2008 SE.
    Installed the above s/w from well known magazine cover disk and I should have backed (last time a couple of months ago -doh!) up all my data beforehand but of course being a trusting soul thought I had no need to do so. Anyway about half way through - I wasn't watching (paint & dry come to mind) but looked at notebook and no display just plain black display and blinking underscore cursor at top left hand of screen.
    I've tried seeing if I can install over the top, fixing the mbr - doesn't work as I get a message back telling me that directory was not enumerated or something I think anyway fairly terminal.
    Before I go for the full install which says it has to reformat the partition - if anyone has any other ideas I'll be pleased to hear them otherwise Saturday is going to be rebuild day (or maybe Sunday).
    TIA
    :doh:

2. Impotence

Impotence May the source be with u!

i would stick the hard drive in another computer (as a slave drive) or use a LiveCD to check if the file system is still usable...

[OT]
    if you going to use a liveCD i would suggest the live version of Ubuntu
    [/OT]

3. donkey42

donkey42 plank

boot your XP CD & enter the recovery console by typing R when prompted & run
    Code:
    Fixboot C:
    to rewrite the MBR
    BTW: here's a list of recovery console commands

Edit: obviously check the filesystem is healthy first[ot]as Impy suggested[/ot]or you may as well banging be your head against a wall