Can't Unplug DVD Drive and CPU Connectors?

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by jonathan142, May 19, 2009.

1. jonathan142

jonathan142 Geek Trainee

Hello, recently I bought a new PSU and am trying to uninstall my old one. The problem is, I can't unplug a few connectors, namely the two white 4 pin ones to my 2 dvd drives and a black connector that goes to my CPU. The white ones have no tab to press down on or anything, and I can jiggle them around a bit and they move around, but they won't come out of the slot. Pulling as much as I can and they wont budge. Has anyone experienced this before?

Thanks.

2. zeus

zeus out of date

3. donkey42

donkey42 plank

that connector is called a Molex connector & sometimes system builder actually glue (usually with a hot glue gun) some connectors to make sure they don't loose in transit you won't break anything by pulling the Molex connector very hard or even use pliers as you are replacing the PSU and a PSU comes with many molex connectors

is the other connector plugged into the motherboard ?
    that's why they sometimes glue them in

4. jonathan142

jonathan142 Geek Trainee

Yea they are Molex connectors. Thanks for the advice, I guess they are glued in.
    E: I tried putting pressure on them and wiggling the molex connector back and forth and it came out after a few minutes! I can see a little dot of glue on them. But now I have one final challenge. The 24 pin motherboard connector is underneath my CPU (the computer was bought already made at Future Shop), and is very hard to reach. Is there anything that can be used or do most people just ackwardly fit their hand in?

5. Peroxyde

Peroxyde Geek Trainee

Underneath your CPU? Could you maybe mean underneath your motherboard?

6. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

The connections on the motherboard for the 24-pin (and older 20-pin) ATX and the 4- or 8-pin auxillary power both have a clip on one side that needs to be pressed and held while removing the plug. They're this way as you don't want them to come out. I suppose some needle nose pliers might help if you can't get you're hand in there.

The molex connectors should be fairly snug.